Who do you think the title refers to?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Who do you think the title refers to?

Post by Popcorn1 »

In books, the title has a relationship to the story. So, when I started reading the book, I was looking for that connection. I has many assumptions and one of them is: when the Japanese was involved in the war, Jacko and Jaime was sent back to Australia to provide assistance. Then the Warramunga tribe will thus be embroiled in the war. However, as I read further, I found out that my assumption was wrong.

With the fact that Jacko is a half-Warramunga aboriginal and he is currently participating in the Syrian war and World War II, I realized he is the connection. And when Jaime was accepted as the brother of the Warramunga, I came to the conclusion that the title is referring to the wars that Jacko and Jaime have participated in.

How about you? Who do you think is the title referring to and when did you realize it?
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

To be honest, the title reminded me of a warship. It's more like a "what" instead of a "who" for me. Warramunga is a name of navy ship used for war and that was my first impression of the title of the book. But after reading, I think I realized that it actually referred to Jacko and his skills as a half-Warramunga aboriginal and how such a native may have won the war due to his inborn qualities and sharing them with Jamie as well. This is further expanded too in the second book of the series entitled "The Skills of the Warramunga". So I believed the book, and the rest of the series is centered on the Warramunga tribe. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think the title relates to the content of the book. On merely reading the title and the cover page, one can actually predict what the book is all about.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

I think the title refers to the character Corporal Jack, a half-Aboriginal member of the Waramunga tribe.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I agree that it refers to Jacko. I guessed this pretty immediately after Jacko's heritage was introduced.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I think it's Jacko owing to the fact that he has the Waramunga blood.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

When I first read the title I thought that it referred to a person, but I was unsure who. It was cool to find out that Jacko was half-aboriginal and his skills are what helped him in war. When I heard that this was a series, it made sense that the author would continue on about this particular tribe. I know a little about the history of Australia and their aboriginal population, but having a book featuring these people is a great read.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I think that the initial reaction to this question would be to identify Jacko as the person being referred to. However, the story continues in the outback of Australia where he and Jamie hunt down criminals and war criminals who escaped from Egypt. The Aborigines or Warramungas helped them both in this endeavour so I would say that the title includes his sister, his people as well as himself.
yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: Belgravia
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yoda4ever »

When I read the title it reminded me of a tribe. I didn't read the book because I am not into war books but I thought it was interesting that it mentions an aborigine tribe.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I found the title,The Warramunga's War, a bit of a mouthful when I first read it. But I found it interesting that it refers to the aboriginal tribe of the main character.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I agree with timd. I don't think it's just referring to Jacko but to his tribe as a whole. Since this is a fiction book, I had to wonder if they really did utilize the aboriginal tribes during the war.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Popcorn1 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 03:03 In books, the title has a relationship to the story. So, when I started reading the book, I was looking for that connection. I has many assumptions and one of them is: when the Japanese was involved in the war, Jacko and Jaime was sent back to Australia to provide assistance. Then the Warramunga tribe will thus be embroiled in the war. However, as I read further, I found out that my assumption was wrong.

With the fact that Jacko is a half-Warramunga aboriginal and he is currently participating in the Syrian war and World War II, I realized he is the connection. And when Jaime was accepted as the brother of the Warramunga, I came to the conclusion that the title is referring to the wars that Jacko and Jaime have participated in.

How about you? Who do you think is the title referring to and when did you realize it?
If the title is referring to the wars that Jacko and Jamie have participated in, then the title would be 'The Warramungas' War', not 'The Warramunga's War'. I think the title refers to the wars in which the Warramunga tribe helped Jacko and Jamie. Therefore, the Warramunga is referring to a people.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

timd wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 11:46 I think that the initial reaction to this question would be to identify Jacko as the person being referred to. However, the story continues in the outback of Australia where he and Jamie hunt down criminals and war criminals who escaped from Egypt. The Aborigines or Warramungas helped them both in this endeavour so I would say that the title includes his sister, his people as well as himself.
That's the impression I got as well. I don't know that it related to a person so much as a group - and to push the idea further, perhaps even more of the connection to the Warramunga people.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html

Post by timd »

It is reassuring to hear that I am not alone with this viewpoint, however, I think it makes sense if you take the whole plot into context, particularly the detail supplied about the Warramungas later on in the book. I enjoyed reading about them all immensely and I believe that that was the intention of the author.
Antonio Barrella
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonio-barrella.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Antonio Barrella »

I think the title is derived from an aboriginal traditions. Theirtraditions have been employed by the authorin many scenes within the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”