WWII FICTION STORY

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Re: WWII FICTION STORY

Post by ma_mon28 »

Jaypagliaro wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 23:57 I don't think it reflects much on today. The times were considerably different then. While war seems universal, the atmosphere of the WWII period versus now is almost night and day.
Hoping for just like that. Conflicts remain even if the war is over. The news today, battle preparation is rising.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

M Zee wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 13:53 The technology has changed but war never changes. I think we can learn more from history than we might think.
You're right! Tell me if I'm wrong! Ww2 was just the continution conflict between countries of ww1. War never changed though weapons can. Conflicts were just the root.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

I salute the Ww2 fighters, reading their stories somewhat sacrificial for freedom.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

mmm17 wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 17:13 I believe there are common elements in every war, although the wars fought nowadays probably have less casualties and are not as large-scale as World War II. When it comes to spies, though, I do think that the spying activities portrayed in the book are very similar to what happens today. My guess is MI6 operates in a similar manner.
I agree that it is not as large-scale as it was back then. Although, I do think that spying nowadays is now advanced than portrayed in the book. With technology now, I do believe people in the war could just stay in one place and find out the secrets. MI6 though I think is still hands-on. But who knows :) :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Hoping for war will never strike again. Though WW2 remains a history, the scars from different countries who fought for victory never vanished. History repeats as the common tongue of the world "history repeats itself."
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

A well crafted story can definitely bring the lessons from previous generations’ wars to the forefront of our modern reality. Human beings are not that much different from one era to the next, despite the style of warfare they engage in, and the wars that occurred within the past hundred years are especially likely to have a significant impact on our present reality.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 15:06 A well crafted story can definitely bring the lessons from previous generations’ wars to the forefront of our modern reality. Human beings are not that much different from one era to the next, despite the style of warfare they engage in, and the wars that occurred within the past hundred years are especially likely to have a significant impact on our present reality.
Agreed that they have a significant impact on our present day. After all, we wouldn't be here if it weren't for our past.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I would say the war or wars nowadays are different from those which happened in the 19th. It differs in a way that human beings now use technology to manipulate their fellow human beings in diverse ways. Looking at the fiscal aspect, I know many countries use their knowledge in suppressing or ruling their colleagues. The developed countries gain a lot of money through the use of science while developing nations suffer under hard living circumstances. So, I think every day we wrestle with others, whether physical war or spiritual.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 15:06 A well crafted story can definitely bring the lessons from previous generations’ wars to the forefront of our modern reality. Human beings are not that much different from one era to the next, despite the style of warfare they engage in, and the wars that occurred within the past hundred years are especially likely to have a significant impact on our present reality.
Exactly! I usually said, conflicts remained and anytime it will burst up.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Most historical fiction is inspired and guided by true events, as they happened. This is no different. It potrays reality.
MA
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

It only represents modern society just a little. A lot has changed in terms of technological advancements and strategies.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I honestly would not know as I haven't read the book yet.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Yes this story reflects the condition of our present days. The memories from the past history can be linked to our present in this book.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I love reading war stories as it is during the those times when the survival instincts of humans turn on. World War II is an area of particular interest of mine. I think the author was quite adept at detailing the war during that time period. The war in today's period has different technologies. However, the mindset remains the same. Hence, in my opinion, the book does depict Today's scenario, albeit in a different way.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I don’t really see a connection between today and the time period this book was written in. I do agree that to find humor not only in a book that takes place during a Great War but also it tells of a seriel killer, is quite unique. The humor helps offset the horror going on around the main characters.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”