WWII FICTION STORY

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: WWII FICTION STORY

Post by srividyag1 »

I think that though the manner and methods used for war may vary, essentially the need for violence, power and greed remains the same in human beings. Whatever be the weapons and tactics used, the motivations and the situation of victims remain the same. The strategy of spying might be different, but the brains behind the spies are still the same. I believe every WWII book we read is still relevant because it makes us really scared of a third world war.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

To some extent part of the book reflects what happens in modern times. There's still war just that the tactics being used have changed. History repeats itself.
Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go.
Rob White
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

Currently, I'm leaning about World War II in school. Even thought we may imagine how awful War was according to the book and movie we read/watch, war cannot be relieved other then from the memory of the people who lived through war. It way more horrible than we can imagine.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

abbiejoice wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 01:48 I think this book somehow still reflects the world as it is today. As long as there is a struggle for power, there will always be a battle between various opposing forces.
True. This is what war has always been about. People may hide behind certain agenda but the thing that will drive nations or even communities to fight is the power struggle.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Kibetious wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 03:21
abbiejoice wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 01:48 I think this book somehow still reflects the world as it is today. As long as there is a struggle for power, there will always be a battle between various opposing forces.
True. This is what war has always been about. People may hide behind certain agenda but the thing that will drive nations or even communities to fight is the power struggle.
I would also argue that communities are driven to war by myths, misinformation and propaganda. One can look at the pre war efforts of Goebbels and his colleagues in Germany in the 1930s to see evidence of this.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

I don't think the book reflects the present day scenario. the times have changed and it perfectly fits in the timeline that it is set in. So I really don't know what might be the right answer here.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

The basic elements are still there - the greed for power, conflict between multiple nations, using weapons and espionage to attain one's end goals. It's more modernized and high-tech now but still relatively similar. The book itself seems historically accurate and there's the added bonus of it being based off firsthand knowledge.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”