How do you feel about romance books?

For February 2019, we'll be reading romance books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

How do you feel about romance books?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Are romance books your cup of tea or not really? Why?

For me, this all depends...I used to not mind some erotic scenes in the books I read, but now I would much rather have sweet and endearing love. I wonder why I've changed so drastically. Perhaps it's just a part of growing older or maybe it's the fact that I've had the same stable relationship for nearly eight years or maybe my taste have simply changed. Whichever the reason is, I definitely don't mind some sweet romance, but it needs to be realistic and not exaggerated in one direction. Does that make sense? :eusa-think: At the same time, if there isn't any or much romance (and as long as it's a good story), I don't feel as if I'm missing out on much.

Anyway, what are your thoughts of the romance genre?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

Yes, I love romance, but not the erotic romance. Just a good old love story. A roughly handsome hero who saves the poor innocent from the evil guys. Western, sci-fi, or historical fiction it does not matter.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I love a good romance, but to me a romance is only great if the relationship feels real rather than fantasized. Actually, I want to believe that, but I love the over exaggerated romances just as much.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read romance books now and then, but I am very picky about it, and I steer clear from erotic ones.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I used to fancy myself too good for the romance genre. I don't anymore, although I am incredibly picky and don't consume a lot of mainstream romance in part because I don't know what will hold up to my tastes. (I will confess, I came to embrace romance writing by reading fanfiction. I've encountered some incredible stuff that way, including a few stories I wish authors would re-name/rebrand and turn into "original" novels in their own right.)

In all genres I enjoy, I prefer stories that are strongly character-driven. I don't mind erotic content but if its only erotic without telling some kind of story, and if the characters aren't strong and well-developed, I am less likely to enjoy it.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I am not really a fan of Romance novels. I enjoy a good love story as much as anyone, but really only as a secondary plot. I used to enjoy it when I was in high school, but as an adult I find most of it unrealistic. I don't enjoy the erotic in novels at all. I feel it takes away from the story line. I'd rather fill in the blanks with my own imagination.
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

I don't tend to gravitate toward romance stories in which the romance is the main point of the book. I like there to be some other major plot line going on at the same time. Also, for me, good character development is key, so I can root for the characters' happiness. I don't an erotic scene or two in the story, but I don't like to read erotica just for the sake of erotica.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

For some, myself included, I think the appeal of romance is the way you can live vicariously through the characters. It's not usually my cup of tea but sometimes you just want to read about two people falling in love and getting their happy ending.

I think there's a stigma attached to it, though, as it's often seen as a girly genre. While it's true that a large portion of the readership tends to be women, I don't think there's anything wrong with guys reading romance. I mean, everyone wants their happy ending, so why not escape into that fantasy for a bit?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

I find the older that I get, I prefer romance in small doses. I'm not opposed to it at all however, I believe exaggerated romance scenes or stories that are heavy laden with romance seem to stray from the original plot. Not every woman in a mystery needs a man to "help" her solve the mystery. However if it is appropriate to the story line then it seems to add to it.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I usually stay away from romance books. After reading a few books from that genre, I've concluded that it's not for me. I don't mind the love stories that developed within another type of story, but those that categorize themselves as love/ romantic stories tend to bore me. Perhaps because they do tend to be unrealistic, as been said here already. (Or maybe because some are just too realistic that they bore me.)
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I think it all depends on the type of romance your reading. Personally, I don't enjoy sappy romances like in Harlequin novels. My cup of tea is paranormal romance with an exciting couple. Whether it is an alpha male or female I love the paranormal genre. I don't mind erotic romance as long as it has a good storyline with well-developed characters. Some of my favorite authors write fantasy/paranormal stories. I love a storyline with a strong couple who fall in love. As long as the main focus is not on romance, I tend to enjoy it.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

If you really pay attention, almost everything has an element of romance.
Leahsi12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leahsi12 »

I love romance novels!

Return to “February 2019 Genre Discussion”