Mixing religious ideas

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Re: Mixing religious ideas

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I like the fact that the author didn't condemn any one religion in particular. I also apreciate his mention, of his fathers interpretation of Christianity. Though, he got the Islamic one wrong, as Muslims are said to believe that they can pray five times and still enter Hell. They believe that there are good Christians and Jews. Basically there are good people everywhere and even if their beliefs are different, they will still go to heaven. How can goodness go unrewarded?! After all God's mills grind slow but they grind exceeding fine.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I think there is nothing wrong in taking the good from some religions and leaving out the bad in them. In my opinion, there is no perfect religion. Having a choice never hurts.
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

As a big believer in the 'truth laying in-between' maxim, I like the idea of mixing religious ideas. I think that the more diverse a person's belief system, the closer we get to one's personal truth.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I think each and every one of us has a mixed belief in our spirituality. For example, it took a long time for me to merge my scientific mind and my faith mind. I finally came to the conclusion that the wonderful things in science could not exist without God. The more I learn about the intricacies of the human body, of plants and animals alike, the more I see God. However, some things cannot mix with Christianity. Meditation is fine for everyone, but a true Christian cannot believe in reincarnation. Only Jesus himself was reincarnated and that is why it is so special. The rest of us will not.
Muhammad Ibn Isah
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Muhammad Ibn Isah »

The author's use of mixed religious ideas provides a 'compare and contrast' view of various religions concerning obvious realities, exposing the relationship between them. This i think is to arouse the interest of those religions' faithfuls and other interested readers.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

The author picks and chooses from various religions and belief systems. This syncretism seems to help him lead a fulfilled life. I personally would not encourage it. Perhaps, he is an ideal person to engage in inter-religious dialogue for peace and harmony in the world.
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I definitely didn’t mind the religious/spiritual mixing. I can see why staunch supporters of any one religion might take umbrage with it though. From their perspective it might seem a little too much like cherry-picking. As in, just choosing not to follow the more difficult/controversial of the religions he was inspired by. I thought it raised interesting points though.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

Though I don't know what people of other religions may think about it, I personally like the idea. It allowed all beliefs to be included and is a clever, creative idea! 😁📖
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I think mixing a variety of religious views was a good way of connecting with a large number of people. If you noticed, he mentioned the largely popular religions. It is also a good marketing technique, but I don't think it was purely for monetary purposes. I think he just studied the religions he knew and went from there creating his own belief system.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I am somewhat uncomfortable with the mixing as average readers and sometimes even good readers could misinterpret what is said if they engage in skim reading. I think his inclusion of Jesus Christ is somewhat disingenuous as he actively promotes Ishness and Tao philosophy as the ultimate or best.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I think that the use of multiple religions keeps the book relatable to more audiences. Also, keeping an open mind to a variety of ideas also helps when searching for truth and increased consciousness.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I was a bit concerned about the author mixing religious ideas. It is called syncretism and not accepted by the Church. However, he does not do so indiscriminately. He is a learned and experienced seeker who deserves to be heard.
Taiwanty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taiwanty »

I do agree that in idea it makes it more accessible to more people. However, I think religiously devout people may have an issues with their beliefs being interwoven with others and understand it so well
promise10
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by promise10 »

I like how diverse it is for reading purposes, it will appeal to a wider audience but i don't think it is practical to practice different believes altogether.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

By incorporating various religions and identifying certain aspects of each that align with what he's teaching, it helps include a wider audience and allows many people to find relatable aspects in his teachings. And, like some others have said, it brings to attention that there's some truth in everything. The world is not black and white; one religion is not more correct than another.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”