What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

briellejee wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 22:20 I think it's a placebo effect - which is powerful. Even in medical research, placebo effects could go a long way of a patient's health. The author having knowledge that such concoction can help him led him to believe that it has an effect on him. Having a preconceived idea can really affect how you see things. Such faith can truly move mountains.
I really like the way you put this and that you noted placebo effects can still be *effects*.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Perhaps people can connect to a different plane specifically because their own typical perspective and understanding is skewed/dismantled. And the expectations of your society of what you'll do with this new understanding makes a mighty difference, I would think. For a group of young guys getting stoned on some psychedelics to enjoy causing mayhem, the outcome would be vastly different from a group of young men on a socially sanctioned spiritual quest. The latter would be expected to gain wisdom that would be of benefit to their people whereas the former would be looked at as troublesome, worthless, and detrimental to their people.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Well, at the very least, I certainly wouldn't do it. As long as it's done in a safe way, I see no harm in it, though - after all, we ingest lots of mind-altering chemicals in modern times, including caffeine, alcohol, and hormones as a part of medications. As for the claim that these concoctions have spiritual powers, well, I couldn't say.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 18:36
briellejee wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 22:20 I think it's a placebo effect - which is powerful. Even in medical research, placebo effects could go a long way of a patient's health. The author having knowledge that such concoction can help him led him to believe that it has an effect on him. Having a preconceived idea can really affect how you see things. Such faith can truly move mountains.
I really like the way you put this and that you noted placebo effects can still be *effects*.
This is where that saying applies: "mind over matter" :ugeek2: hahaha But yeah, being in the science field, you could really see these placebo effects more often. :D
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

I personally know few people that have done it. They say it's a life changing experience. Maybe it is. But I still don't see the point in doing something that isn't naturally meant to be done by human. Some would argue and question, well, what are these plants meant for, than? As if everything on Earth is made for human consumption...

Anyway, people that I know that have done it, even sceptics, all experienced hallucinations. Some were called visions after - depending on whether a person is generally more down to earth or up the skies, so to say.

I personally believe that you "see" what you want to see. One can have the same hallucinations of Jesus giving orders and later interpret it as "some hippie guy was telling me what to do all the time, I couldn't concentrate on those nice flowers behind him". And another person would convert to Christianity and become religious after the same vision. Again, that could be manipulated into thinking that some people are meant to carry Jesus's word, some weren't. What if, instead of the connection with higher spirits it's just a personal choice to see either flowers or Jesus? Than I think, what's the point of poisoning yourself with something? If you were meant to hear Jesus's words, you'll hear it without drugs, with your own powers, and not stolen from plants or other species.

The same goes for medicine, I guess :lol:
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

I'm personally rather cautious when it comes to experimenting with these unique concoctions. My guess is that it's a placebo effect, though that remains as my personal opinion
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

mmm17 wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 13:22 What's you opinion on the author's experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon? Do you think the concoction played an important part in what happened to him during the ceremony or not? Could it be a placebo effect?
Yes, I think the concoction played an important part in what happened to him during the ceremony. It wasn't a placebo effect. Look at the experience he had there. Well, in all his experiences, he always said he was drawn to it. His instinct had not failed him, and never forget, no human words can perfectly explain the supernatural.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

Personally, it is something I am wary of. While such rituals do exist, it is really difficult to ascertain their level of reliability.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

The concoction played a role in whatever the author experienced. I think he goes with a predetermined mind after being told what to expect.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

skindrukas wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 08:31
I personally believe that you "see" what you want to see. One can have the same hallucinations of Jesus giving orders and later interpret it as "some hippie guy was telling me what to do all the time, I couldn't concentrate on those nice flowers behind him". And another person would convert to Christianity and become religious after the same vision. Again, that could be manipulated into thinking that some people are meant to carry Jesus's word, some weren't. What if, instead of the connection with higher spirits it's just a personal choice to see either flowers or Jesus? Than I think, what's the point of poisoning yourself with something? If you were meant to hear Jesus's words, you'll hear it without drugs, with your own powers, and not stolen from plants or other species.

The same goes for medicine, I guess :lol:
I agree with you on this one. You don't something to swallow to see what is meant for you by Jesus. Ingesting some concoction doesn't make the vision valid, it just makes it more sketchy tbh.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by spencermack »

Whether it was a placebo or not, it helped him during the ceremony. Which ultimately helped him continue his journey.
Spencer Mack
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I was amazed to learn about the spiritual experience that the author had due to the effect of concoction! It worked on him! The activities such as ingesting a plant concoction are greatly denounced in spiritual literature. The author has found an authentic spiritual source! It was an ecstatic reading experience for me! I came to believe in the truth of miraculous concoction that could lead to higher spiritual experiences.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I do think it's a placebo effect as well. Placebo does wonders if used in the right way.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Truly with the use of drugs of any sort you are more susceptible to suggestion. I don't believe that the one vision, under the influence, invalidates his other visions.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I think the vision was dependent on the concoction and the context. If he took it in a different setting he would have had a different experience, I guess.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”