Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

I don't believe there is a Religious book that is suitable for all believers. There are so many different religions, even though some may have similarities with respect to the teaching and beliefs, there are still so many differences. There are Religions that don't believe in Jesus. Religion is a difficult subject, hence the reason I do not believe in Religion but rather in Jesus and His father Jehovah.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3098
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

HRichards wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 13:37 The book seems to be more the author's personal amalgamation of religions that appealing to any one in particular. As a conservative Christian, I found myself unable to agree with the author on quite a few things. I feel like this book is much more geared to those with open minds about religion and not a very strict view.
This is very true. I also believe that the author tried to mix various teachings from different religions without appearing to lean on either of them. I could not agree with some things too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

As a believer, I do not see the book as being a hindrance in any way because every question asked has got its answers only that the author was not careful to look for them. He just took in his dad's words and went in search of something else. I appreciate the fact that the book has helped me learn as to why there is a need to know why you believe and hence be ready to give an account or defend it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
He then told me about Islam, a religion that teaches that all who worship deities other than the one true God, Allah, go to Hell. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is everyone going to Hell?
I started reading this book only now, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this.
Within the first two chapters, I have already come across a child who wants to convert his parents, parents who question the child about the existence and validity of God. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

Do you think this book is suitable for non-believers and believers alike? I know the author has said in his introductions that you must only read the book if you are ready for 'the great revelation'. However, even though I'm willing to give it a chance, I find that the story is already seeming to be superficial. The quote I have included above has also made me wonder why the author decides to include religion at all. I don't think believers can actually read the book with an open mind.

What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
I won't recommend this book to new believers. Such books are meant for strong and mature believers. It didn't affect my faith negatively, but motivated me to get closer to God and find my God given purpose. We all have different paths. This was Richard's path. Find your path. If you feel this would affect your faith negatively, don't read it. God said, "my people perish for lack of knowledge." Jesus said, "they that are of the world know these mysteries than they that are of the kingdom." This is because Christians tend to be close hearted.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

NuelUkah wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 04:19
Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
He then told me about Islam, a religion that teaches that all who worship deities other than the one true God, Allah, go to Hell. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is everyone going to Hell?
I started reading this book only now, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this.
Within the first two chapters, I have already come across a child who wants to convert his parents, parents who question the child about the existence and validity of God. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

Do you think this book is suitable for non-believers and believers alike? I know the author has said in his introductions that you must only read the book if you are ready for 'the great revelation'. However, even though I'm willing to give it a chance, I find that the story is already seeming to be superficial. The quote I have included above has also made me wonder why the author decides to include religion at all. I don't think believers can actually read the book with an open mind.

What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
I won't recommend this book to new believers. Such books are meant for strong and mature believers. It didn't affect my faith negatively, but motivated me to get closer to God and find my God given purpose. We all have different paths. This was Richard's path. Find your path. If you feel this would affect your faith negatively, don't read it. God said, "my people perish for lack of knowledge." Jesus said, "they that are of the world know these mysteries than they that are of the kingdom." This is because Christians tend to be close hearted.
I would go with this line of thought too. The book may not be a good read for those who are not yet to read and appreciate what is there while holding on to what they believe. It may lead them to begin running from one belief to the other.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I would not recommend this book to my Christian Evangelical friends as it contradicts many of their beliefs. I used to identify with them, but now my faith has broadened and I believe we can find a spiritual path in many ways. This book inspired me to seek further and opened me up to new ideas.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

HRichards wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 13:37 The book seems to be more the author's personal amalgamation of religions that appealing to any one in particular. As a conservative Christian, I found myself unable to agree with the author on quite a few things. I feel like this book is much more geared to those with open minds about religion and not a very strict view.
I am a conservative Muslim and I had this vague distinct feeling that this book might not be for strict Christians. There are a lot of times I had to question the validity of the events, a lot of times I might have thought the author was deluded with his ideas. But they are ideas nonetheless and makes for an interesting read. To enjoy it however, one should have an open mind, like you pointed out.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Katherine Smith wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 14:43 I am not a believer, but I am spiritual in that I see the beauty and relevancy of religion in one's life. I think that for some people I book that hints at challenging their beliefs is seen as a threat. For others, it can be a way of looking at their beliefs in a different way in order to expand their mind. I also think that sometimes when quotes are taken out of context they can seem harsh, but educating yourself about the culture can help you to understand.
I understand what now trying to say. Now that I look at it, that quote sounds harsh in a way, but I still get the gist that it was meant in a particular way. For me to point out a quote that might sound hurtful to some people is not merely a meek event. Somebody else could have felt the same :) The ideas presented in the book would definitely make for deep thoughts if one is willing to be open about it.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

With the author's way of writing, it goes beyond religion. It has turned more to adhering to the author's ideology.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

Even nonbelievers can have an interest in the beliefs of others. I am always curious about what drives people to live the way that they do and believe what they believe. Also, believers can have an interest in what drives nonbelievers.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

This book is definitely not suitable for all believers. Although it claims that there is no religion or belief that is being promoted in the book, the principles and ideas discussed therein is definitely in contrast with other faiths, especially Christianity. The books is more New Age in approach to faith where it is fine to mix one kind of belief with another. It quotes Bible verses only when it is convenient, but denies them altogether when it already contradicts with the ideas being presented by the author.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

vishu wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 15:52 With the author's way of writing, it goes beyond religion. It has turned more to adhering to the author's ideology.
This is true. That in the process of the author trying to correct some teachings concerning God he begins adhering to his own ideology. Is it the origin of a new religion?
- Dr. Larry Crabb
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Am a Christian and despite the fact that the author wants to portray this book as a great revelation I just feel he's expressing his personal testimony. There are several issues I didn't agree with the author but it doesn't affect me.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

From the sample and reviews, I have read it definitely isn't for everyone. It seems to abhor religious biases and needs an open mind.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is true that the book needs an open mind indeed for anyone willing to read it. I thought the author was becoming quite tough when he begins to make the reader to have information on the book content and hence read at own discretion. I came to appreciate this later.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”