Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Nerea »

Personally, the book is not fit for me because there are ideas portrayed in the book that are contrary to what I read from the Bible. For instance, the issue about Hell. I don't believe that Hell is a literal place where people who don't obey God will go to and suffer forever. Inline with the Bible, Hell is also Sheol or mankind's common grave.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

briellejee wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 09:43 [quote=Fuzaila post_id=1125330 time=1552156990 user_id=878840

In reading the book, I don't think my belief was shaken to its core, but I think that's because I don't usually like reading and believing instantly in books of "faith" or "revelation" other than the bible. Reading this was out of curiosity but I really don't let myself immerse deeper with the author's words. With that attitude, I can say that it didn't hinder my faith. There is no question that these books could alter perspectives. The key is not only an open mind but a strong resolve on your faith when things tend to go astray from your belief. After all, there are a lot of things here that overlap with one another despite the different religions.
I agree, one should read a book such as this with an open mind. I loved reading about Richard's adventures. The exercises he mentions, I've started practicing them.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I once read somewhere that as humanity evolves knowledge will reveal that a lot of what most of us believe will be probed wrong or non-exixtent. And becauae of this some will opt to take their own lives rather than let go of what they believe. Probably this book provides a glimpse into such a scenario.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I don't think some strictly religious people would be comfortable with the way spiritual philosophies are mixed here.I feel that spirituality is one essential component that defines an individual's identity and therefore assuming that separate religious philosophies may be mutually reinforcing just seems erroneous.Or that readers possess the rational capacity to curiously chose their prefered trajectories from an assortment ,without being offended at some point seems unlikely.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
nbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbel.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by nbel »

I am a believer. I was very confused about the book when I just started reading it. It contradicted many of my beliefs. I felt like the author was just expressing his own feelings regarding the matter and it wasn't something that I enjoyed. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this book to people who take their religion very seriously.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3097
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am still of the opinion that it does not fit all believers. For instance, what happened to the author may happen to anyone who will read the book without some ground to stand on. What will happen when they read the next book on spirituality may also be a shift to the new belief. The reader needs to be adviced.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I often read books even if they don't adhere to my beliefs just to see if they can bring a new perspective into my thinking. Most books fail at doing this, but some do succeed. I have not been too shaken by the beliefs stated in this book yet. But then, I am yet to finish it. So, I might have a more detailed answer later.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

From the descriptions about the book, not all believers would be compelled to agree with the author on his opinions. He does have something to share from his own experiences though, and that would make one want to read it.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The F*ck It Diet: Eating Should Be Easy
Bookshelf Size: 2417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Honestly, no. I don't think this book is suitable for all believers. Some people are staunchly committed to one faith and doctrine and that's perfectly fine but they'll probably feel uncomfortable with the mixed spiritual ideas that the book presents, as well as some of the comments and anecdotes like the one you quoted. Personally, my beliefs were already a mixed bag before the book so it didn't really alter them. I'm always open to new ideas (within reason) and I decided to read the book with an open mind and take what works for me. But I think some readers could find the book threatening or even disrespectful.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1042
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I've actually decided against reading this book because of my strong Christian convictions; I don't like to pollute my mind with things I don't believe in, not because I fear I'll lose my faith, but because it upsets and saddens me.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

As I mentioned in my review on this book I didn't find anything that I just did not like. Yet, I feel about books of this type or within this genre altogether is that everyone is unique and must find what it is that works for them.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Personally, I think everyone, believer or not, can see and take something different from this book. It affects each individual differently and whether or not it makes you question your faith is up to each individual.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

To answer thoughtfully the key question Yes, I believe this book is suitable for all. It is a great book, and people will take from it what they can truly understand and the specific passages that they feel were important. There are other books that can be read to further pursue the topic if the reader wishes to further delve into it.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

ViziVoir wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 02:14 I feel like there's no single book in existence that appeals to all believers - even many Christians, so I've heard, prefer translations of the original writings of Jesus and his apostles over those selected by the time's authorities to be put into the Bible. My own beliefs aside, I don't think it appeals to all believers, and I don't think it even could!
Well said. :tiphat: Couldn't have stated it better myself.

There's no one book or one "belief system" for everyone.

As Ghandi has said, "I believe there are as many religions in this world as there are people." Everybody perceives things differently.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I enjoy books that challenge my current system of belief and welcome a different point of view. The way I see it, making me rethink my spirituality, it will either serve to refine and strengthen it, or make me seek something else, something that satisfies me more. Either way it is a good thing. As for only reading the book if you are ready for ‘the great revelation’, I don’t pay too much attention to that. It’s also important not to swallow everything you read blindly; just because it is in print does not necessarily make it true. I am not threatened or made to feel uncomfortable by anything that is written in this book.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”