Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by KCWolf »

MsTri wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 10:28 I've actually decided against reading this book because of my strong Christian convictions; I don't like to pollute my mind with things I don't believe in, not because I fear I'll lose my faith, but because it upsets and saddens me.
I have made the same decision. After reading the sample and many comments here and elsewhere, this book is just not applicable for me. I do, however, read a lot of books that relate to my own spiritual Christian path.

If it helps someone else, then that's fine for them. But, to put it simply, I don't think it's for me.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I am a believer. I had to stop reading about 25% through the book. I found it superficial and unbelievable. I have seen God's hand in my life. I have seen signs from my dead mother letting me know that she is okay. I have strong faith. This book didn't interfere with my faith at all. I just found the author to be insincere. I felt like I was reading a self help book, by a self proclaimed spirituality guru.
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
He then told me about Islam, a religion that teaches that all who worship deities other than the one true God, Allah, go to Hell. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is everyone going to Hell?
I started reading this book only now, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this.
Within the first two chapters, I have already come across a child who wants to convert his parents, parents who question the child about the existence and validity of God. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

Do you think this book is suitable for non-believers and believers alike? I know the author has said in his introductions that you must only read the book if you are ready for 'the great revelation'. However, even though I'm willing to give it a chance, I find that the story is already seeming to be superficial. The quote I have included above has also made me wonder why the author decides to include religion at all. I don't think believers can actually read the book with an open mind.

What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
As a person who is very open minded when it comes to religion (and non-religion), I would say that this book is suitable for readers of all religions and beliefs. I also think that if you are firm enough in your beliefs, and have strong enough faith, this book would not sway your beliefs.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3098
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think the book can be read by all indeed, both believers and non-believers alike. It does not lean towards any particular religion and thus anyone with an open mind will enjoy reading it. Furthermore, it won't harm to learn something new.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I think that keeping an open mind and understanding that there are differing views are the main things to keep in mind. When a person comes across a book like this, they have to consider the intent of the book as well as their own personal wants and needs. If you are interested in other ideas and beliefs, then it is appropriate. If you are strong in your faith and comfortable with yourself, then you will be able to read it for what it is and possibly be able to understand someone else's ideas. If you are against reading information that is against your beliefs, then you should not read this book.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think people of all religions can benefit from it. It gives a great example of interreligious dialogue that can bring peace and harmony in this world.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

Being devoutly Christian, I didn't find this book to be persuasive at all. I find that nowadays, people want their own truths, not necessarily THE truth. I'm not saying Haight's journey is shallow or that I'm ultimately right, but his reasoning and questions seem kind of silly to me. Or, perhaps, I'm too privileged to have a firm grasp on my own beliefs and can't fully appreciate his quest for enlightenment.

Overall, though, it didn't make me question my own beliefs.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Little Doctors Handbook for Babies and Toddlers by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I just downloaded this book to review. I was hesitant to do so because I can't imagine how I could have anything unique to add to what has already been written. All of the posts here have given me encouragement in that it sounds like everyone takes away something different from reading the book.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

The human mind works in mysterious ways. I believe that what I read can affect my beliefs and faith, sooner or later. So I choose books with caution.
promise10
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by promise10 »

I will say the book is suitable for all believers but not for people who are easily offended. I flipped through the pages of the book with an open mind just to understand the authors points and read what he had to say. I didn't feel threatened at any point or that my faith was shaken. it also depends on how strong a believer's faith is. I always find that it is good to objectively listen to what people have to say and not blindly impose our own opinions on them.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I definitely think that both believers and non-believers can read this book, but I think it needs to be read with an open mind and taken with a grain of salt. I'm a Christian, and I'm strong in what I believe, so I haven't felt influenced by what Haight says and writes in this book, but he is definitely assertive in his views.
I'm certainly skeptical about some of the things he mentions throughout the book, especially as some of the things just seem so extreme and out there, but I'm just sort of reading it in a state of curiosity. Rather than being influenced by what he's saying, I'm just reading to find out where he's going with what he's saying and what he believes.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I am feeling somewhat undecided about continuing with this book. I'm not sure I am going to continue reading it as I don't feel 100% comfortable in what I have read so far and I don't want to challenge my own beliefs.
Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Post by Raja28 »

The foremost thing I usually try to do while reading anything related to spirituality is to keep an open mind. Whatever I read is not going to affect my belief (or non-belief) instantly. It is okay to listen to varied points of view; deciding what to pick and follow is up to you. So, this book could be read if it looks interesting enough, and its suitability to the reader's belief system can be worked out later :)
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Wonders in the Waves by Jennifer Collins

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I think if you consider yourself an open minded individual, you should definitely try to read it once. The author states at various occasions that this book should be considered a journey of only one individual. Each of us will take away what we want from this book and ignore what doesn't ring true. So in that sense, this can be a book for all believers. Nobody said that everyone has to identify with this book, least of all the author. That's what I like the most about this book. He has presented his belief system without expecting us to sacrifice our belief system.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 18:21 My personal belief on this topic is that it is important for people to know what they believe and why. I therefore don’t think reading about the beliefs of others “should” be threatening to one’s faith, because one should be able to engage with those differences and still keep one’s own faith if it is in fact worth keeping. I also don’t see harm in questioning for the sake of better understanding why you believe what you believe.
I definitely agree with BelleReadsNietzsche that we should t avoid new information for fear of having our beliefs threatened. Any insights from other people, whether you agree with them or not, should deepen your own spiritual journey as you either find a new path or feel reinforced in your old one. Therefore, I wouldn't be concerned that this book could make you stray from your current path as long as you have a strong foundation in your current spiritual beliefs.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”