Hypocrisy?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Re: Hypocrisy?

Post by a9436 »

To be honest I found that confusing and difficult to understand - something was "off" that I could not put my finger on, but your post makes me realise that yes, it did seem hypocritical.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I didn't really see it as such. I felt like he was advocating unconditional love towards everyone, not just people who believe like him.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I think religious tolerance is very difficult to achieve. Usually people tend to get too defensive about their own ideas, religious or otherwise. People often forget that while dismissing someone's religious ideas, they are being intolerant and are guilty of the same non-inclusiveness as they are accusing other's of. So, its easy to see why the author might have come across as hypocritical. But, I think he might not have realized this at all.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think the author is sharing his personal experiences and beliefs. Spirituality is about finding your own truth. His soul is not bound by anything, its free.
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

abbiejoice wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 23:49 I must admit that there seems to be an inconsistency in the author's perspective. He seems to advocate unconditional love (something he doesn't see in traditional Christianity because of its objective definitions of good and evil) but even in his own belief (which he considers not to be a belief at all), there are still many criteria needed for those who want to achieve peace, or happiness or whatever good he deems worth reaching for. Also, his basis for rejecting traditional Christianity is not very clear. There was no mention of a logical and thorough research to understand the Christian faith. The only thing I could remember that he mentioned was his conversation with his own father when he was still a child. This was about how a good God can send someone to hell. It was not explained however, how God respects the freewill of people and how it is the person himself who has the ability to reject God and thus go to hell if he does not desire to go to heaven.
I totally agree with you. The book lacks depth in the knowledge on how God operates
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

This is even more hypocrisy to justify his own beliefs as rational and that of the other woman as hypocrisy. I also disagree with either of them boosting their religion with a threat for non-followers.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Sounds to me like he's putting himself in the place of the very God he purports not to believe in. Who is he to pass judgment?
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I think the authors dismissal of the Christian faith is a case of 'fighting what you don't understand'.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”