Hypocrisy?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Hypocrisy?

Post by Hayley2-0 »

I'm not really sure if his approach is hypocritical, but he seems like just someone who changed their believes over time.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I think he didn't know when he ended up acting like the woman he condemned. Lots of times when people try to communicate their points by X-raying other people's sense of judgement, they end up towing the same path of the people they condemned.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Interesting topic. I never thought of it this way. I wouldn't say that the author aimed to condemn any other religion or belief that is different from his own set of beliefs. I think he just communicated what his visions and insights were and what he believes to be true. While I do agree that sometimes his tone does come across as being preachy, I would not say he meant to challenge any other faith or force people to follow his own.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I definitely found the author of this book to be hypocritical in regard to his views on Christianity, but also in other realms as well. For instance, he makes the argument that we should not judge or condemn murders because there is no way to know their past or the events leading up to their actions, which is a fair enough point considering the author's assertion that we should all love one another (a very Christian ideology), but he also, at the same time, condemns gossips and claims that they're malicious. Throughout the book, there were contradictions that I found frustrating. If it weren't for these inconsistencies and hypocrisies, I think that I would have liked the book a lot more.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Kelyn wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 11:34 Sounds to me like he's putting himself in the place of the very God he purports not to believe in. Who is he to pass judgment? I don't so much think he has a double-standard about other religions as much as he dismisses them entirely.
I can only agree. I like the concept of dismissing religions or blending the different beliefs, but if somebody starts telling me that this is the only way to salvation and condemning people he or she doesn't know (the stadium of people), then I only see that person as another false preacher.
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

Thanks for opening this discussion, for me the author clearly hang on to his own beliefs rather than the influences of the external world. He has his spiritual strength, he hangs on to that.
WaryReader
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WaryReader »

That's definitely hypocritical, but you can't say that it doesn't reflect on real life! That's really how most people act regarding their religious views, or lack thereof. Maybe that was the point. :techie-studyingbrown:
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I just felt like he was too quick to conclude as a young child, he should have studied the Bible more for himself to understand what the scripture says not what he was told.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Kelyn wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 11:34 Sounds to me like he's putting himself in the place of the very God he purports not to believe in. Who is he to pass judgment? I don't so much think he has a double-standard about other religions as much as he dismisses them entirely.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Which is another reason I'm turned off from this author and his book.

It seems like cult leadership to me.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I'm another person who think that Christianity isn't about judging others and condemning some to hell but love. There's much in the Bible about judge not so you aren't judge in the end. I think the author pretty much picked what he wanted from different ideas and religions then deemed himself enlightened. I can see where he could be considered a hypocrite for judging others so harshly after he sees him self as "The Unbound Soul". This maybe harsh but that's how cults leaders sound.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

Hell is the absence of God, that's the definition. My. Pastor says it is a sin to judge anyone. It's up to God to judge a mans heart;we are to follow the cammandments and know him etc. my pastor never talks about fire and brimstone, just about how sad and lonely a life without God would be.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

oaktreehill wrote: 15 May 2019, 19:14 I'm another person who think that Christianity isn't about judging others and condemning some to hell but love. There's much in the Bible about judge not so you aren't judge in the end. I think the author pretty much picked what he wanted from different ideas and religions then deemed himself enlightened. I can see where he could be considered a hypocrite for judging others so harshly after he sees him self as "The Unbound Soul". This maybe harsh but that's how cults leaders sound.
Absolutely! I agree 100%. :tiphat:
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

Yes, because God is love and anything that book for Forster’s and encourages the opposite is a sin. Interpreting the Bible yourself is always a dangerous precedent At least I think so.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

How else do you interpret the Bible expect for yourself. The Bible is meant to be a guide for Christians.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

Personally, I don't think there's any form of hypocrisy from the side of the author, I totally agree with his views and ideas.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”