Hypocrisy?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Re: Hypocrisy?

Post by cornelia_SD »

It's very good you pointed this out. Maybe he was trying to emphasize that every religion has the same goal. That's why it's quite confusing to read this book if one would always factor in religion. But if you'll remove that, he's just teaching about freeing one's soul from everything.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Sounds very hypocritical to me. people often clamour for a change of ideologies and end up creating their own ideologies which are often times more flawed than the one they were trying to correct. I tend to keep things simple. Honestly, there are so many things we will never know for certain on this phase of life. I try to love God and have a deep, personal relationship with Him. I leave the unanswered questions to Him to reveal at the end. The issue of who is going to hell or not is not my business. I do hope to end up in a nice comfy eternal home someday though :D. I leave that worry to God who I believe is fair, just, wise, and all knowing. This is my own personal opinion.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I had a hard time understanding the author's goal of searching for the bones of Jesus when he doesn't believe in God. To restore the true teachings of Jesus, he would necessarily need to believe in the Father, who is one with Jesus, the Son. How do you restore the true teachings of someone while denying what that person has affirmed, eg. "I and the Father are one" ?
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

It's natural, really, that anyone who opposes one religion and searches for a different avenue would then encourage others to follow said avenue. However, I totally agree that the author does seem to have a hypocritical aura about him, even if it's not expressed directly. I'm always fascinated by individuals who condemn an entire religion just because of one's person style of preaching.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Life is full of hypocrisy. No matter what faith a person subscribes to, everyone falls short of perfection. That's the whole idea of some sort of saving force or grace in the universe, Jesus Christ or otherwise. No human can do it by sheer will.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

After reading the initial post and then the comments, I am torn. On the one hand, this absolutely sounds a bit hypocritical. On the other, I can agree with the idea that suffering caused by people bringing suffering upon themselves/the world is rather different than God just punishing people. That said, I don't agree with judging a stadium full of people one's never met. So, short answer: I don't know.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I understand your point, but I would argue that hypocrisy is a strong word. In my opinion, one could say he is a bit inconsistent, though.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I had reviewed this book and given my comments elaborately about conflicting with other belief system.
Last edited by gali on 06 Apr 2019, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that there is an inconsistency in his perspective. It seems that he wants people to follow his beliefs, and that they will go to hell if they don't.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I didn't find his message about changing ways to be threatening. He is not the first one to share this type of message. I've read it in a book that is part of the non-canonical text and in a book a psychic wrote. It is confusing, but all we can do is to keep searching and learning.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Now that you mention it, the author does come off as a little biased. His reasoning for rejecting Christianity is flawed. The overall theme of loving everyone and acceptance doesn't fit with his rejection of other religions. There are many religions with varying sets of beliefs for a reason. A person shouldn't be judged simply on their religion or how one perceives them. In my opinion, the author should have thoroughly researched and then formed an educated opinion.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I must say that I didn't notice a "system" in his book or someone who I need to follow or believe in his teachings or gave up on my own theories. The way I perceived it, is to put more accent on human values - especially sincerity and unconditional love for everyone. The message of being all kind and honest and feel unconditional love brings unity for humanity. We received this "hint" in during human time through different forms, books, music or painting. I believe Haight just share his own life journey and his methods that could relate with some people. Others can relate with John Lennon lyric "the world will be as one", while some other people can find themselves in the oil painting "Discussing the Divine Comedy with Dante" where 103 famous personalities sit together.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I've just written a comment on similar topic. Let's give all judgement to God and wait for the judgement day. If we judge others we will definitely be judged.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I was definitely wondering the same thing as I was making my way through his book. And my biggest area of confusion centered around the fact that he continued to say that belief leads to suffering, and that his guide to unfolding was not a belief system, yet his attempt at defending the idea that it was not a belief was lacking and confusing. Along with that, he continuously brings in ideas from other belief systems to relate to what he is saying.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I have actually encountered such people in real life. Even though they weren't trying to start a new thing, they were all biased by their own religion. When one said that their God would smite them, the other one scoffed saying that their gods "don't exist". And then later, the same person would call the first one a heathen because that person does not follow this one's religious path!!!! I have seen that messed up concepts of religion can do this to a person. So author's this approach is one of the things that vexed me so.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”