What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Post by mmm17 »

What's you opinion on the author's experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon? Do you think the concoction played an important part in what happened to him during the ceremony or not? Could it be a placebo effect?
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I haven't tried psychotropics for spiritual insights so I cannot speak from experience, but it does seem he found what he was searching for (perhaps placebo effect?) and might have found that anyway without them.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

So many societies have done this throughout history that I assume it's a reasonable thing to do. Especially, or maybe only, if those societies still exist and are something noteworthy that we can learn from. I've read that some have the same effect as meditation and prayer though I'd be wary of ingesting such things.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think it's a placebo effect - which is powerful. Even in medical research, placebo effects could go a long way of a patient's health. The author having knowledge that such concoction can help him led him to believe that it has an effect on him. Having a preconceived idea can really affect how you see things. Such faith can truly move mountains.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I feel uncomfortable whenever I remember the author's experience of a vision after ingesting a plant concoction. This opens the possibility of a hallucination and thus, questions the validity of his vision.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I think the plant concoction was the sole reason for triggering the psychedelic trip that the author experienced in The Amazon. Once he was in that trippy zone, he started having the vision.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think they definitely played a role in the experiences he had. I cannot explain how but I do believe that there is a direct linkage whether it was because they believed so or for another reason. The good thing is that he advises against depending on psychotropics for quests.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

Strange place, unknown effects, medical assistance not readily available? Isn't hard enough to take this type of drug in a familiar safe place. Why in the Amazon? Was it the sense of adventure or strong belief that it is effective. Having worked on Navajo reservation in Arizona I have seen the effect of native medicine on patients. Some being good and some bad so the power of the mind can work in powerful ways. So yes, I believe the plant concoction play an important part in his experience during the ceremony. It could have been both a chemical effect or a placebo effect.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I don’t know why, but it somewhat scares me. I feel like it could go wrong, so I would not ever do this for myself at all. I’m not saying he is wrong for doing it, it just wouldn’t be my method to hear from the spiritual realm or have a vision. People who drink too much can become so inebriated that this creates a false reality. I think psychotropics can be more powerful than that and have the same outcome.
Everything happens for a reason...
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

abbiejoice wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 23:51 I feel uncomfortable whenever I remember the author's experience of a vision after ingesting a plant concoction. This opens the possibility of a hallucination and thus, questions the validity of his vision.
I never thought of it that way, but now that you mentioned it, some plants could give hallucinations and these tribes mistake it as visions. It really does make me think about whether it's true or not. :eusa-think:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think that this was a very dangerous thing to do. It made him dizzy and vomit, so it didn't sound like a pleasant experience. Though, he shared that he received direction and purpose for his life more clearly during that, maybe his willingness to be so open allowed deeper perception.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

It probably was just a placebo effect . It doesn't make any sense for that plant concoction to have any effect on him other than him feeling sick.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

abbiejoice wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 23:51 I feel uncomfortable whenever I remember the author's experience of a vision after ingesting a plant concoction. This opens the possibility of a hallucination and thus, questions the validity of his vision.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. He also stated that he received a larger portion than the rest, which I believe is the reason his 'vision' began early than the others. I don't feel like you should have to endure a purge to connect with visions. He certainly felt the physical effects of stress on his body, let alone the mental repercussions of the hallucinatory drugs.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I have to wonder if his perception of the amount others received and the time it took for their experiences to begin was tarnished a bit since he was the first to ingest the concoction. I also couldn't help but think the experience he described sounded a bit like what happens after having ingested too much alcohol. Nonetheless, I do believe his subconcious may have been coming through more clearly because he was expecting something to happen.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Amanda Deck wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 20:07 So many societies have done this throughout history that I assume it's a reasonable thing to do. Especially, or maybe only, if those societies still exist and are something noteworthy that we can learn from. I've read that some have the same effect as meditation and prayer though I'd be wary of ingesting such things.
I really like that you highlighted this. I think it’s very interesting because for me, living in the U.S. and raised by conservative and Catholic parents who are very anti-substance use (other than alcohol which is seen as normal), taking substances was never seen as normal in any way. I know there’s is a segment of people in the US (even outside the Native American community, which I see another commenter has referenced) for whom the infection of substances for spiritual purposes is normal, but they are often dismissed (at least in the community I was raised in) as weirdo hippies.

I think it’s interesting how normal this was and still is in many societies specifically for the purpose of accessing spiritual truths. It can be hard to fully wrap my mind around this perspective, especially coming from a perspective in which brain chemistry can determine our experiences so thoroughly. For me, it’s hard to imagine seeing any essentially drug-induced experience as accessing a huge ransoms truth, but this is probably a perspective that has historically been rare and atypical.

I agree with other commenters that this was a risky activity for him to do and that I probably wouldn’t do it. It’s impossible for me to say it didn’t affect his visions. But I guess I’m interested in understanding why for some people and societies, this last part doesn’t necessarily matter.

Good topic, thanks for bringing it up!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”