What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Re: What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Post by elizaron878 »

He claims to have had all these mystical experiences,yes,but how can we be assured of their authenticity?Is there any way of corroborating the author's claims?
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I honestly couldn't tell if it had any positive impact on him at all, and only seemed to cause him worry. Personally I take those sort of drugs with a pinch of salt.
OllieMQue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olliemque.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by OllieMQue »

I've never done drugs (besides drank alcohol) but I'll admit after reading this it makes me curious. Only if it's legal though, I don't think it's worth jail time.

But as far as cultural or religious traditions go, I believe it has meaning to them and they should continue to follow the beliefs as long as they are not explicitly hurting someone who does not consent.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I thought it was incredibly careless to ingest anything from someone you don't know. I don't know if it that was the cause of the vision or if emptying his stomach being weak caused the vision.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I agree it is risky and most people are not willing to do it. I’m also interested in understanding why some people and societies feel differently. A question I ask myself is "What do altered states of consciousness uncover?"
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Anju_9 »

He strictly recommended not to depend on such hallucinogens all the time. The effects may vary from person to person. It could've been dangerous for others, but if the people in that area are trying, and have been keeping this tradition going for so many years, then they have their own reasons, and it is helpful for them. It was helpful for the author too, although the involvement of hallucinogens rises questions on its credibility.
Enigma44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma44.html

Post by Enigma44 »

mmm17 wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 13:22 What's you opinion on the author's experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon? Do you think the concoction played an important part in what happened to him during the ceremony or not? Could it be a placebo effect?
What great questions! From my reading of Haight’s account, he was part of an ayahuasca ceremony. It is an extremely individual experience. Taking the herbal concoction is just one part of the whole ceremony - the main goal is cleansing of the body and spirit (or whatever you want to call it). Drinking the yage (as it is also known) makes you vomit uncontrollably, and possibly gives you diarrhea. It is not a pleasant physical experience. It also could have hallucinating effects (but not necessary). The drink could have contributed to any extent to his whole experience. Does not everything have a placebo effect?
Enigma44
Currently Reading:

Post by Enigma44 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 20:07 So many societies have done this throughout history that I assume it's a reasonable thing to do. Especially, or maybe only, if those societies still exist and are something noteworthy that we can learn from. I've read that some have the same effect as meditation and prayer though I'd be wary of ingesting such things.
This sort of ceremony is mostly medicinal. It is similar to how some people go for a regular check up to see their primary physician.
Enigma44
Currently Reading:

Post by Enigma44 »

LV2R wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 22:33 I think that this was a very dangerous thing to do. It made him dizzy and vomit, so it didn't sound like a pleasant experience. Though, he shared that he received direction and purpose for his life more clearly during that, maybe his willingness to be so open allowed deeper perception.
Going through chemo is not a pleasant experience either but lots of people do it to try to heal themselves. I agree with you that openness is key in this case.
Enigma44
Currently Reading:

Post by Enigma44 »

Joytoo97 wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 03:57 The concoction played a role in whatever the author experienced. I think he goes with a predetermined mind after being told what to expect.
I agree with you. At the beginning of such ceremonies, you are encouraged to set your own intentions so the mind is conditioned.
Enigma44
Currently Reading:

Post by Enigma44 »

janelwhite wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 17:48 Yes it clearly made a difference. I looked up the Natem ceremony and it was described as a plant that allows people to enter the world of spirits through hallucinations.
Finally, a reasonable comment. Natem or ayahuasca or yage ceremony is something people still do not only in the Amazon but all over the world, including the USA.
Enigma44
Currently Reading:

Post by Enigma44 »

It seems there are some misconceptions about what an ayahuasca ceremony is. As an anthropologist, I have done research on the topic and have participated as well. I would be glad to answer reasonable questions. In short, it is a beautiful ceremony when an experienced taita (understand shaman) does it who has trained all his life for it, typically in Putumayo in the Amazon. It is a long process - usually you prepare yourself in advance by fasting for at least a week and avoiding carnal pleasures. During that purification week, you could also go through other rituals. The culmination of drinking the yage is a whole night experience, accompanied by music, chanting, and various forms of cleansing. I have met plenty of people who say this ceremony saved their lives. In Colombia, people would invite a taita in their town regularly so that they could do the ceremony for General well being, as well as specific medical issues.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Enigma44 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 05:17 It seems there are some misconceptions about what an ayahuasca ceremony is. As an anthropologist, I have done research on the topic and have participated as well. I would be glad to answer reasonable questions. In short, it is a beautiful ceremony when an experienced taita (understand shaman) does it who has trained all his life for it, typically in Putumayo in the Amazon. It is a long process - usually you prepare yourself in advance by fasting for at least a week and avoiding carnal pleasures. During that purification week, you could also go through other rituals. The culmination of drinking the yage is a whole night experience, accompanied by music, chanting, and various forms of cleansing. I have met plenty of people who say this ceremony saved their lives. In Colombia, people would invite a taita in their town regularly so that they could do the ceremony for General well being, as well as specific medical issues.
Thank you so much for that information. That really helps to put something in perspective that the average person has never experienced.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Enigma44 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 04:21
mmm17 wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 13:22 What's you opinion on the author's experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon? Do you think the concoction played an important part in what happened to him during the ceremony or not? Could it be a placebo effect?
What great questions! From my reading of Haight’s account, he was part of an ayahuasca ceremony. It is an extremely individual experience. Taking the herbal concoction is just one part of the whole ceremony - the main goal is cleansing of the body and spirit (or whatever you want to call it). Drinking the yage (as it is also known) makes you vomit uncontrollably, and possibly gives you diarrhea. It is not a pleasant physical experience. It also could have hallucinating effects (but not necessary). The drink could have contributed to any extent to his whole experience. Does not everything have a placebo effect?
Great comments. I do believe that almost anything can have a placebo effect. But some substances have actual major observable effects on the nervous system, which seems to be the case. Anyhow, the question for me is how much of a vision is merely drug induced hallucination, how much is true spiritual experience. And is there a difference?
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Enigma44 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 05:17 It seems there are some misconceptions about what an ayahuasca ceremony is. As an anthropologist, I have done research on the topic and have participated as well. I would be glad to answer reasonable questions. In short, it is a beautiful ceremony when an experienced taita (understand shaman) does it who has trained all his life for it, typically in Putumayo in the Amazon. It is a long process - usually you prepare yourself in advance by fasting for at least a week and avoiding carnal pleasures. During that purification week, you could also go through other rituals. The culmination of drinking the yage is a whole night experience, accompanied by music, chanting, and various forms of cleansing. I have met plenty of people who say this ceremony saved their lives. In Colombia, people would invite a taita in their town regularly so that they could do the ceremony for General well being, as well as specific medical issues.
Thank you so much for sharing this!

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”