What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: What's you opinion on the experience of ingesting of a plant concoction in the Amazon?

Post by randompersonavility »

Well yes, I mean he mentioned it himself that after drinking, his visions started pouring in.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Haoght's spiritual experience is a result of many factors, one of which is the concoction he took. Later in the book, he credits this one incident as having provided an insight to his spiritual growth.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Maybe, maybe not. Drugs definitely alter the way our brain chemistry works so, perhaps, even if ingesting the concoction wasn't the definite trigger for the revelation, it did lower the author's inhibitions and made him more open to certain experiences. Many cultures practice these rituals and we can't just dismiss them, but in no way do I think drugs are necessary to develop a spiritual practice.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

My opinion of thought on this is I don't feel or see how that could count as experiencing a spiritual revelation when he took something that was known and intended to alter the mind and or body. So, therefore, I really questioned that when I was reading the book. In a state of mind and body altercation, how was he sure that he was hearing or envisioning that of God's will and not just hallucinating.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I don't really know what to think about it to be completely honest. I just know that if you believe that something has the ability to do something, then it will. For example, if you're sick and you tell yourself that a certain medicine will make you feel better, then it will, and vice versa.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I believe the plant concoction is a strong hallucinogenic. I believe that he saw what he was concentrating on prior to taking it. I don't think it was a placebo effect, I believe he was truly high. I just think it was more of a self fulfilling prophecy. He believed he would so he did.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I don't like the idea of using an external substance to help me find what's in me. It feels fabricated, which I know is strange, because there's no real defined boundary between the body and what it ingests and assimilates into its system. Still, it feels wrong on a visceral level.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Yes it clearly made a difference. I looked up the Natem ceremony and it was described as a plant that allows people to enter the world of spirits through hallucinations.
http://achuarlodge.com/natem-ceremonies ... -ecolodge/
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I couldn’t really get into that part, but obviously ancient cultures have found it beneficial, so I can’t say either way. I don’t think I would try it personally though, as I feel the connection to God I have via dreams and the occasional thought revelation is sufficient for me.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think his experience was because of his openness to the paranormal as well as the concoction. He used to experiment with different belief systems and spiritual practices.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I found it quite disturbing and dangerous that someone could be so desperate to drink a concoction having no idea of its true contents to lead to a spiritual insight. From the reactions, I don't think its a placebo effect but I think it may be something containing strong alcohol or a hallucinatory drug.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The concoction played an important role because I am sure that without it, he might not have had the experiences he had. However, the part I think was only to deal with his own belief. Another person may ingest but not have the same experiences.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

Having known people who have done something similar, I don't think it's a placebo effect. For some, the plant medicines open one to a deeper place in themselves. For others, it is not helpful. Personally, I don't think I would opt to participate in that type of ceremony, but I feel it is a real tool for those who resonate with it.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Maya_Nyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-nyssa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Maya_Nyssa »

Many medicines are synthetic versions of plants with medicinal properties, and some medicines are derived from plants only found in the Amazon (which one why the rainforest is threatened/disappearing). The local tribes are often experts in using plants for various reasons, including inducing hallucinatory states as part of their regular practice. While drugs affect everyone differently, it would be unsurprising if he had visions after participating in one of those ceremonies.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I certainly don't think that it's out of the question for it to have actually had that effect on him, but based off of other experiences and visions that he'd already had and has later, I don't necessarily think that the plant concoction was the only influence. He seems to be able to reach that level without any outside resources to assist him. And I found it a bit odd that it affected him so quickly, to the point where the person with him said it was way too fast for it to be taking effect.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”