Is anyone else looking for more context?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Is anyone else looking for more context?

Post by Diana Lowery »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 08:22 I think that leaving certain things vague (like in the specific scenes you pointed out) allows the book the be relatable for more people. For example, others may not have the exact same questions before their vision quest, but they may still feel their questions are unimportant by the end of it.
You make a good point. Being vague is a technique used by authors frequently, and it does work here.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I think that comes from mixing a memoir into a self-help guide. It takes away from both purposes and lends to a lot more vague bits.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I think it is a way of making the reader want to read more with the expectations that you will find answers ahead. Generally for one to describe a vision no amount of words can be enough. The writer can only describe so much, I would suggest reading other books in the same category in order to be more familiar.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I also felt like large chunks of his stories and experiences seemed to be missing, or otherwise mis-explained or interpreted. I'm personally confused about his choice to do ecotourism, given the sheer amount of criticism the practice comes under. As well, he talks a lot about things he chose to do without explaining why nor any actual detail of what he learned from it. I honestly don't totally understand the point of a lot of the book...
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Words are of thought and are therefore not transformative. We need to go beyond words in order to find harmony.
I think that quote sums up the things that don't add up in this book. My impression was that there are just concepts that can not be fully shared and I thought he gave it a really good try, but there is the final stopping point.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

ViziVoir wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 02:10 I find a lot of these books about spiritual enlightenment pretty vague. I suppose it just comes with the territory of trying to describe the (arguably) indescribable. I don't feel like I'm up to the task of dissecting everything you brought up, but I agree that it's pretty distracting to be left with all of these questions!
I am in line with you and that's the reason I did not bother to think a lot about the points which I could not comprehend, and I was satisfied with the concepts that I could comprehend and even implement.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

mmm17 wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 09:58 Good point. I would also like some clarification on certain parts, especially on how exactly the visions happen. I was really curious about them. Were they just dreams? Maybe very vivid, emotional dreams? In the Amazon he was awake, but had ingested substances. Anyway, I agree that maybe we are trying to read this too literally. :?
I feel the author could have given more description of his vision so that it could have created a greater impact on the reader's mind.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

HRichards wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 13:39 I struggle with books about spiritual enlightenment. I feel like spiritual enlightenment is a very personal thing that you can't really explain and recreate properly to another person. It's more a feeling, which makes descriptions of it often very vague.
I think the books on spirituality if not well-written can complicate the situation, and that's the reason I do not rack my brain for the concepts that are very difficult for me to comprehend. But I feel it's fine if a few of the things in the book could be helpful.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Letora wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:29 I am finding that while reading this I wish there was more context in certain situations. For example, during Robert's vision quest, he states that the questions he had were in fact not important by the middle of the day. What do you think those questions could have been? He also mentioned that his priorities were not in order. What were those priorities? Were these things in general about life, or the process of the vision quest itself? He also didn't seem to have a vision. Instead, he experienced intense emotions. Maybe I am trying to read this too literally? What are your thoughts on the chapter about vision quests, and did you have any other chapters that you needed clarification on?
My take on the chapter about vision quests was that the author was under the influence of something that allowed him to have out of body experiences. Perhaps all he recalls of those experiences is emotions and feelings,not actual thoughts.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Spiritual enlightenment is a journey that has an endless destination. Expecting everything to be contained in one book would be wrong.I also had areas that needed further explanations but I understood it was not something that could be said in one book.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Nice point, while reading the book you notice there are some gaps left but at the end when you get the main idea, initial questions do not really matter.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Kibetious wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 23:16 I am still trying to absorb what is contained in the book and so currently I am not looking for more information. However, there are instances where it is true that one would have wished that the author would have given more details.
I'm halfway and I don't think I would look for more context but I agree that sometimes could be nice to get more details.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

This sounds to me like the author chose to write it that way to be able to relate to a wider audience and it is up to the reader of how he/she interprets it. After all, spiritual enlightenment has different faces and ways for different people. Personally, I had no trouble with the book. I even shared it with the people in my church.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I agree with the argument that more details on certain events such as the vision would create a better understanding for the readers. I understand that spiritual journeys are personal and each person experiences it different but at the same time it does make it hard for those who have never experienced it to understand the events hinted at but not elaborated on.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I haven't read this particular book, but I have found myself puzzled and unsatisfied in the same way with some books I have read. I always prefer a book to prompt questions, yes, but eventually answer those questions, too. Otherwise, I feel as if I haven't had full resolution.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”