Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Juliet144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet144.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Juliet144 »

I am a Christian and I do read books and articles that challenge my Christian beliefs. I do so because I want to know why others oppose my views. It's important for me to understand why others hold their point of view. I also read from other religious points of views as they help to verify or strengthen my own beliefs. By reading these type of books, I get the opportunity to assess my own beliefs against other views. In the end, I normally value more the beauty and life in what I hold as true.

However, I do refrain from reading certain books that are disturbing to my mind. Some books are too far-fetched and perplexing for me to read. So, it narrows down to an individual's tolerant level towards books that are contrary to their beliefs.

Aim to be settled in your own beliefs though, so that contrary expressions do not shake your faith. You can be challenged but if you are sure about what you believe, it is harder for such books to sway your convictions.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

This book didn't sway my faith, but I did question the way it jumped from religion to religion. I think it may offend Christians with its Shamanism, and offend Shamans with its Christianity perhaps. A person can't be both, so it's likely being presented so that people can make their own choices.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Personally I'm a believer and I don't think reading this book can have any effect on anyone's belief who will read it with an open mind. I think the point is, you must read it with an open mind otherwise you shouldn't give an attempt. To me I belief reading it can only make me understand other people's take as far as religion is concerned.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I think it is a very interesting book that can appeal to anyone religious or not.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I think this book is for people who are open to hearing about other people's experiences without judging. So no matter the religion I think they can learn something.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

no because each of us has different beliefs and i do not think pagans or muslims, etc would be interested or agree to this book..
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I just finished reading Misreading Judas. Whew! I do not think I could handle this book right now...maybe in a few... That book had me thinking about it long after it was done.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

As a very religious person, it was a little hard because I disagreed about a couple of things but then again I have always been very open to different opinions and ideas from other people of other religions so it was like listening another friend, but with much more wisdom
MardiL
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: The Downstaris Girl
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of It Is Always NOW!

Post by MardiL »

After reading and reviewing this book, I did give it a 5 out of 5 for the reasons stated in my review. But to the specific question for this post: no, it is not for everyone. First of all, I have what I consider to be a very solid personal belief system. But I also believe that personal belief systems evolve over time. I never assume that I have all of the answers. I find that almost everyone has some value in what they say. And I feel that this book has value. Some readers are more, shall we say, "black and white" in their thinking. Some are prone to throw out an entire book because they find one concept or approach they disagree with. I simply skip over those and keep going to see what else I can find. For example, I will never believe in reincarnation. But the author is entitled to his beliefs and that does not offend me. On the other hand, I found some gems. One in particular helped me rethink a problem I have been struggling with. He suggests that we must not go into situations with too many expectations. It helped me realize that I do often get frustrated (and even angry) when my expectations are not met. For some reasons that particular thought at that particular time was useful to me. What can I say? I think we need to always read with an open mind. But never feel obligated to believe everything we read.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I really did not agree with the author is some way.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
He then told me about Islam, a religion that teaches that all who worship deities other than the one true God, Allah, go to Hell. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is everyone going to Hell?
I started reading this book only now, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this.
Within the first two chapters, I have already come across a child who wants to convert his parents, parents who question the child about the existence and validity of God. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

Do you think this book is suitable for non-believers and believers alike? I know the author has said in his introductions that you must only read the book if you are ready for 'the great revelation'. However, even though I'm willing to give it a chance, I find that the story is already seeming to be superficial. The quote I have included above has also made me wonder why the author decides to include religion at all. I don't think believers can actually read the book with an open mind.

What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
I am a believer, I would say that book is not recommended for all religions because it could hinder your faith. But nevertheless, if you are willing to explore the ideology of the author toward different religions. It's the go-ahead.
Christina Puttre
Currently Reading: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-puttre.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Christina Puttre »

I am not a religious person. I find myself more spiritual with my own beliefs collected through the years. I didn’t find the book to be triggering or a threat to my believe system. I may not have because I tend to have an open mind and respect other people’s opinions/beliefs. I find there are some books that are deeply engrained with a belief system. Other books are suggestive. I think this book is more spiritual than religious. I suppose if the reader were more of the scientific thought process, much of this book would be hard to relate to. However I also felt that much of the book would still be an asset if the reader omitted the spiritual aspect of the book.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I don't think any single book bothering on religion/faith can appeal to everyone, because the divide in this respect is huge. Although I think the book will be embraced by an believer with an open mind.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”