Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Src_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-src-reader.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Src_reader »

I've read the whole book, but I didn't find any scene or sentence that threatened any belief. As far as the concept of this book is concerened, the author has done his best to keep this book on a neutral ground.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Information is never a bad thing. Just because he wrote it doesn't mean you have to accept it. Read with your own critical eye, and then make your decision.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I am a believer (Christian) and I think it's important to regularly question your faith in a meaningful way. If you ask yourself the hard questions that this book asks and are able to come up with answers to them, it'll make you stronger for it.

I say don't be afraid to question your faith, with our without this book), just don't forget what you believe at the end of the day.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I have read the book summary, reviews and comments and the simple answer is no. Religion usually takes no prisoners, some of the great wars in history including the crusades where over religion. Most faiths demand for or against. As long as this read can not narrow down to any for, it becomes easy for adherents to say it is against.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

Depends on how firm you are in your faith,to be affected by another person's perception of beliefs. While reading I think having an open mind is important you don't have to agree or disagree just learn and move on.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

No one book will please everyone. And who are "all believers"? Within Christianity alone there are so many different denominations. Some persons will read a book with an open mind and others will just be confused. It is important to have a strong sense of who you are and understand what you believe in.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

No, I don't think it will appeal to everyone. I am a believer and it has not swayed my beliefs or faith. Although, I don't feel the author was trying to force his particular belief on anyone. Reading it I questioned some of the other beliefs but not my own. I do enjoy books that make me question certain ideas but I don't enjoy this type of book. I think it's possible for a book about spirituality to affect your beliefs if you allow it. If your faith and beliefs are not strong, yes they can be swayed.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I think this book could appeal to people of many different faiths and even those who do not follow a religion. As long as the reader keeps an open mind.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I am baptized as Orthodox and I grew up under the influence of the Bible. Being curious by nature and attracted to this "department", before maturity, I have begun light research on religions, God and spirituality. Most excavations led me to the same point: human values. This may sound general, but I mean especially sincerity, humility, and love. From my point of view, this divine force that we call God, I can name it John, for the simple fact that maybe, that is how I perceive this presence better. It does not change the essence.

I think what Richard Haight wants to convey is that regardless of our religion, ethnicity or culture, most of us, deep down in the soul, aspire to receive honesty and love from others. Who doesn't want to be treated with kindness and sincerity? Who doesn't want to be loved? I don't think a non-believer means no morality. But to get these values ​​from people, they must first be offered. Haight just shows a practical method (which, yes, he find it beneficial in his life's journey) that can serve others to find that pure innocence that we only had when we were babies. How it would be a world in which we're all honest, modest and loving with each other?

This message has been transmitted throughout the history of humanity in various ways or forms. Now, for example, it crosses my mind some lyrics from the Beatles "You may say I'm a dreamer/ But I'm not the only one/ I hope someday you will join us/ And the world will be as one ". Perhaps each of us, depending on personality, experience or style can relate this common realm.

In painting, we can find the same view in "Discussing the Divine Comedy with Dante" with 103 cultural icons that sit together; to name a few - Dante Alighieri, Pavarotti, Marlin Monroe, Fidel Castro, Bonaparte, Mozart, Shakespeare, Tyson, Einstein, and many others - all together.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I believe the book deserves a read for anyone who is spiritual or Christian, it's only natural to start forming an opinion based on your core beliefs. I thought that some of the ideas were practical, some of them were quite hard to swallow. I would consider myself a strict Christian, I did find some areas of the book exceptional. No spoilers but he has had a specific goal his whole life, has he succeeded, that's for the reader to decide. As far as your beliefs being swayed, that's up to the individual. I try to see what dove-tails to what I believe and if those things will help my growth spiritually.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I have already reviewed this book and you can get my views on "viewtopic.php?f=24&t=100952" that I have recommended this book only to those who are not happy with their belief system. If you are happy with your belief system. then it works for you, happily stick to it.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with the statements above that there is no one book that will appeal to everyone.
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
Your points are very intriguing. I also began reading this book with an open mind, but truthfully found myself being unable to relate to what the author was feeling or experiencing more than once in the book. The truth is, except for small children, none of us are blank slates. We all have been influenced by a vast sea of information, people and experiences that color the lens with which we view the world. That being said, we can certainly choose to withhold judgment when reading a book like this.

I personally didn't convert or have any great epiphany during or after reading this book, but I found his experiences and personal journey interesting. I think that almost anyone could gain something from reading Richard Haight's story. As far as your concern about questioning your beliefs, I personally have often thought that taking long-held beliefs off the proverbial shelf and dusting them off to re-examine them every so often is a sign of personal growth.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Some believe that religion is the root of all problems and wars. Religious differences should not cause division. People easily pass judgement. Let's not forget that most religions frowns on passing of judgment. I think we all have to wait until the judgement day.
Amina-Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Amina-Ibrahim »

The author writes about his own life experiences in this book. While I didn't start this book with an open mind, I do agree it can confuse the readers. Don't know about the non-believers but as a believer it was impossible for me not to be offended.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”