Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I am not a believer. I read the book with an open mind though. I only enjoyed it because I like spirituality.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

Many believers will react in different ways that's depending on their religion. There are those open minded believers and others whose believes are too deep hence will consider this book unsuitable.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I am Catholic at heart because we were raised to believe in the grace and glory of God, and I think that the book id suitable for believers and non-believers alike because it offers them a broad knowledge and perspective on religion and faith.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I don't think questioning a faith for the sake of clearity can in any way hinder my faith. I do not claim to be very religious but i have my own version of faith. It was not affected by the author's views in any way.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 02:54 I don't think questioning a faith for the sake of clearity can in any way hinder my faith. I do not claim to be very religious but i have my own version of faith. It was not affected by the author's views in any way.
I respect you.. I do have my own practice of faith as well..and no one can change it not even an award-winning author however, I appreciate his efforts.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

IamShing wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 05:13
juliusotieno02 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 02:54 I don't think questioning a faith for the sake of clearity can in any way hinder my faith. I do not claim to be very religious but i have my own version of faith. It was not affected by the author's views in any way.
I respect you.. I do have my own practice of faith as well..and no one can change it not even an award-winning author however, I appreciate his efforts.
Thats for sure;one only subscribe to a belief he strongly believe in. if a mere piece of literary work can affect your faith,then its no longer "your faith". Anyway the author did an examplary work here.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I appreciate the depth of the author's exploration and his open-mindedness. What feels most clear to me is that any religious path that claims to be the only way, to the exclusion of all other paths, is failing at what should be central to any belief system: Love, tolerance, inclusion.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I think with books that question people's spirituality and beliefs, it is up to you personally if you can read it. Some people see it as interesting to read other takes on spirituality and different belief systems but others see it as a threat. In my experience, those who are the most settled in their faith tend to be interested while those who aren't so sure in themselves see it as a threat.
pixiestyx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiestyx.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by pixiestyx »

I can't say I'm a believer, but I do have my own beliefs and consider myself a spiritual person sometimes. Usually when asked, I say I'm Agnostic, as it's easier than explaining what I believe in and why. However, while I think keeping an open mind is always a good thing, I am wondering what sort of story this really is. I haven't read it, and I'm curious to know how others feel about it.
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

pixiestyx wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 21:37 I can't say I'm a believer, but I do have my own beliefs and consider myself a spiritual person sometimes. Usually when asked, I say I'm Agnostic, as it's easier than explaining what I believe in and why. However, while I think keeping an open mind is always a good thing, I am wondering what sort of story this really is. I haven't read it, and I'm curious to know how others feel about it.
You should give it a try..It doesnt force you to believe in something..your reaction really depends on you..
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I think it all depends on your preferences as an individual and self conscience. For example if you're a Christian and you end up reading a book about islamic religion; how does that make you feel? What do you want to learn from the book ? And are the revelations in a book decreasing or increasing your faith as a Christian. Those are the questions you should ask yourself.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Katherine Smith wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 14:43 I am not a believer, but I am spiritual in that I see the beauty and relevancy of religion in one's life. I think that for some people I book that hints at challenging their beliefs is seen as a threat. For others, it can be a way of looking at their beliefs in a different way in order to expand their mind. I also think that sometimes when quotes are taken out of context they can seem harsh, but educating yourself about the culture can help you to understand.
The key is education as you mentioned. I agree some will view it as a threat while others will encourage it. The problem is people view quotes and opinions in different ways. You never know when someone will take what you said out of context. Therefore if you educate yourself you will be better equipped to understand.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I may not use the word suitable but i think it is ok to glance through it, in order to get a glimpse of what the author has to say. One might not necessarily agree with him everytime, but it was interesting for the most part.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

Yes, this book is suitable for all believers. There is no book alone that can shake anyone's faith. It takes belief, trust, and results to build faith for me. This book for me gave me another perspective of others around beliefs. These types of books are important, they expose readers to different beliefs.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author makes some important points regarding the different teachings of different religions, which he actually has a point. I also has thought regarding some of those points in a similar manner. Anyway, I don't think that this book will change the beliefs of any believer, and that is why they are called "believers"
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”