Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I believe in God and I believe that the Bible is his love letter to mankind. I chose not to read this book not because I have any qualms about reading something that might shake my faith or even help me grow as a person, but because I am secure enough in my faith that I don't need to explore alternatives. Thanks for your very good question.
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

I think it's a good place to open up the minds of blind believers, but I think not everyone will have the patience to read it.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

This book made me uncomfortable in quite a few parts, it seems to be more geared to someone who either doesn't have a religion and is looking for one or someone who is just fishing around and trying to figure out what they pray to. I'm a Christian, although not to an extreme point, and yeah there were a few points that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I am a Christian and I found what I have read of this book to be disturbing. I haven’t finished reading it yet but there was a lot I didn’t agree with the author on. However, I don’t think it’s ‘dangerous’ to read books that are not in line with your beliefs. I agree that if you are secure in your faith, simply reading a book that has ideas that go against it shouldn’t shake you.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I think seeking spirituality is a journey everyone should be interested in regardless of one'side religion. For me personally, It didn't alter my perspectives on belief, religion, and faith. It only opened my mind further to deeper truths on several issues.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

As someone who is agnostic, but still respects the religions of others I decided to give this book a try, and I can say that this book has no way gotten me to challenge my beliefs or more accurately by lack of belief. With that particular quote you cite, to me that just seemed as the author posing an incredibly exisential question he was curious about, I don't think it was meant with any malice intent
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I don't think that there exist a book that appeals to all believers, maybe spiritual individuals. The Unbound Soul isn't exceptional.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I have a concern is with the use of the word "suitable". If a believer is a person who wants to read the book to see one person's unique view of what it means to be a "spiritual" person, then I think the book would be suitable. There are believers who think that the Bible or the Talmud or the Quran is more suitable for their beliefs than Unbound Soul, by Richard L. Haight.
Onyema uche
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Onyema uche »

Yes i believe it is suitable for all believers, he wasn't trying to change anyone's religious belief he was enlightening everyone
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I don't think that a book can appeal to all religion. However, the insight that we get from a book are worth it, whether we believe in it or not.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I don't think books like this can be agreeable for everyone as all of us have our own beliefs, and we do tend to judge and question what might not sit well with us. Personally, I read this just to explore as I like learning about experiences of other people. While this book can provide some new spiritual insights, I don't think the author has intentions to challenge any other faith or religion. He just documents his own life experiences.

I would say believers can choose to read it without judging the author for his opinions and questioning their own faith. Plus, the book has parts that also provide useful information on personal well-being and that should be beneficial for everyone. I think we can read or learn about something and agree to disagree. Of course, if the thought of reading this makes someone uncomfortable, then I don't think they should risk their peace of mind for reading this.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 08:17 I believe in God and I believe that the Bible is his love letter to mankind. I chose not to read this book not because I have any qualms about reading something that might shake my faith or even help me grow as a person, but because I am secure enough in my faith that I don't need to explore alternatives. Thanks for your very good question.
That's very well-expressed, and I agree. The multiple reviews and sample I read confirmed that it was one I didn't care to explore for the same reasons you mentioned.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

I like the spiritual part of the book, not the religious part. Good to know, the book includes spiritual insights as well as exercises that readers can practice. However, religion is a personal choice and should not be a public matter. As this book touches religion, I don't think this book suits everyone.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I don't think this book is suitable to all believers. Although it started with Christianity but along the line somethings against Christianity like Medium, afterlife was introduced. Notwithstanding, there are some valid points in it but core believers who strictly dwells with the Bible teachings with not enjoy this book
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I chose not to read this book, not because I am a believer, but because I do not enjoy books by people who set themselves up as enlightened, spiritual guides. I'm with Van Morrison on this: No guru, no method, no teacher. :)

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”