Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Fu Zaila »

He then told me about Islam, a religion that teaches that all who worship deities other than the one true God, Allah, go to Hell. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is everyone going to Hell?
I started reading this book only now, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this.
Within the first two chapters, I have already come across a child who wants to convert his parents, parents who question the child about the existence and validity of God. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

Do you think this book is suitable for non-believers and believers alike? I know the author has said in his introductions that you must only read the book if you are ready for 'the great revelation'. However, even though I'm willing to give it a chance, I find that the story is already seeming to be superficial. The quote I have included above has also made me wonder why the author decides to include religion at all. I don't think believers can actually read the book with an open mind.

What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I think this is a really important and relevant topic with a book like this.

I do not identify as a believer, but I do identify as spiritual. There are elements of Haight’s spirituality that resonate for me, and (many) elements that don’t- but as someone who also adheres to a more “find your own path” spirituality, I don’t find the book particularly challenging or threatening- just an interesting different take.

My personal belief on this topic is that it is important for people to know what they believe and why. I therefore don’t think reading about the beliefs of others “should” be threatening to one’s faith, because one should be able to engage with those differences and still keep one’s own faith if it is in fact worth keeping. I also don’t see harm in questioning for the sake of better understanding why you believe what you believe.

But that’s my own take. I’m very curious to hear what other members, especially members who identify as believers, think!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I follow the Pagan path, and reading his book hasn't swayed my beliefs. He did question the Born Again Christian beliefs which is what started his journey, but he isn't trying to make anyone question God. I see his intention as being a way to allow someone to free themselves. To let go of the negativity and doubt in our lives and achieve something greater. I haven't finished the book yet, but I found the first half an interesting catalogue of his life and his own realizations.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 18:21 I think this is a really important and relevant topic with a book like this.

I do not identify as a believer, but I do identify as spiritual. There are elements of Haight’s spirituality that resonate for me, and (many) elements that don’t- but as someone who also adheres to a more “find your own path” spirituality, I don’t find the book particularly challenging or threatening- just an interesting different take.

My personal belief on this topic is that it is important for people to know what they believe and why. I therefore don’t think reading about the beliefs of others “should” be threatening to one’s faith, because one should be able to engage with those differences and still keep one’s own faith if it is in fact worth keeping. I also don’t see harm in questioning for the sake of better understanding why you believe what you believe.

But that’s my own take. I’m very curious to hear what other members, especially members who identify as believers, think!
That's really good to hear! Like I said, I'm a believer, and it seems to me that this book was written keeping believers in mind, in hope of making them rethink their beliefs. The author does a pretty good argument of why one should question their faith, but only if we choose to believe. I agree, reading a spiritual book like this one must not be threatening, in fact, for better or for worse, it is a good thing that a book affects you enough to make you rethink your spirituality. :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Letora wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 19:22 I follow the Pagan path, and reading his book hasn't swayed my beliefs. He did question the Born Again Christian beliefs which is what started his journey, but he isn't trying to make anyone question God. I see his intention as being a way to allow someone to free themselves. To let go of the negativity and doubt in our lives and achieve something greater. I haven't finished the book yet, but I found the first half an interesting catalogue of his life and his own realizations.

I agree with your opinions, but I did feel the author intended for us to question our beliefs and faith in God. Especially with the quote I stated, and also about Christianity. It's interesting to see that you didn't feel that way. Maybe each individual had a different way of looking at it.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I feel like there's no single book in existence that appeals to all believers - even many Christians, so I've heard, prefer translations of the original writings of Jesus and his apostles over those selected by the time's authorities to be put into the Bible. My own beliefs aside, I don't think it appeals to all believers, and I don't think it even could!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
In reading the book, I don't think my belief was shaken to its core, but I think that's because I don't usually like reading and believing instantly in books of "faith" or "revelation" other than the bible. Reading this was out of curiosity but I really don't let myself immerse deeper with the author's words. With that attitude, I can say that it didn't hinder my faith. There is no question that these books could alter perspectives. The key is not only an open mind but a strong resolve on your faith when things tend to go astray from your belief. After all, there are a lot of things here that overlap with one another despite the different religions.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

ViziVoir wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 02:14 I feel like there's no single book in existence that appeals to all believers - even many Christians, so I've heard, prefer translations of the original writings of Jesus and his apostles over those selected by the time's authorities to be put into the Bible. My own beliefs aside, I don't think it appeals to all believers, and I don't think it even could!
I agree! I think Richard's ideas are interesting, but I can't see it appealing to everyone. I don't think there is book non-fiction or fiction that can appeal to everyone. At its base, I believe it is still based on his opinion and what influenced him in his life.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

Personally, I don't think there is book that can appeal to everyone's religious thoughts or convictions. I think this book is heavily influenced by the author's personal life experiences. Thus, from the beginning, I knew it might not be appealing to some religious ideas. That is why, it can be very helpful to have an open mind when reading the book.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

ViziVoir wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 02:14 I feel like there's no single book in existence that appeals to all believers - even many Christians, so I've heard, prefer translations of the original writings of Jesus and his apostles over those selected by the time's authorities to be put into the Bible. My own beliefs aside, I don't think it appeals to all believers, and I don't think it even could!
I have very little idea about Bible, but I do understand the gist of it. This book surely doesn't seem to be for everyone, and not just by faith. It's like the author said, you shouldn't be reading if you aren't ready. But I'm loving the new revelations.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

briellejee wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 09:43
Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
In reading the book, I don't think my belief was shaken to its core, but I think that's because I don't usually like reading and believing instantly in books of "faith" or "revelation" other than the bible. Reading this was out of curiosity but I really don't let myself immerse deeper with the author's words. With that attitude, I can say that it didn't hinder my faith. There is no question that these books could alter perspectives. The key is not only an open mind but a strong resolve on your faith when things tend to go astray from your belief. After all, there are a lot of things here that overlap with one another despite the different religions.
Well said Brielle! I agree, once you've got a firm hold on your beliefs, no matter what book you read, it can't shake your core as long as you keep an open mind. After all, it only comes to show how you weren't a firm believer after all, if a book manages to alter your perspectives. Even though that didn't happen for me either, I do think Richard has a powerful play with words.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Letora wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 11:30
I agree! I think Richard's ideas are interesting, but I can't see it appealing to everyone. I don't think there is book non-fiction or fiction that can appeal to everyone. At its base, I believe it is still based on his opinion and what influenced him in his life.
Same here! No book can appeal to everyone, and I'm pretty sure Richard knew that while penning down his life. The book sure seems to be interesting, and he seems to have experienced quite some miracles from what I have read so far. It's not for everyone, but it sure is interesting.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

daviddawud wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 12:21 Personally, I don't think there is book that can appeal to everyone's religious thoughts or convictions. I think this book is heavily influenced by the author's personal life experiences. Thus, from the beginning, I knew it might not be appealing to some religious ideas. That is why, it can be very helpful to have an open mind when reading the book.
Exactly! I'm pretty sure most of the readers might end up questioning the validity of the events mentioned in the book, like Jesus speaking in a young boy's dreams and asking him to find his bones. Sounds extreme, and probably wouldn't appeal to even Christians.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

The book seems to be more the author's personal amalgamation of religions that appealing to any one in particular. As a conservative Christian, I found myself unable to agree with the author on quite a few things. I feel like this book is much more geared to those with open minds about religion and not a very strict view.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I am not a believer, but I am spiritual in that I see the beauty and relevancy of religion in one's life. I think that for some people I book that hints at challenging their beliefs is seen as a threat. For others, it can be a way of looking at their beliefs in a different way in order to expand their mind. I also think that sometimes when quotes are taken out of context they can seem harsh, but educating yourself about the culture can help you to understand.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”