The three pillars of humanity will soon fail!?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: The three pillars of humanity will soon fail!?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Dragonsend wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 16:35 We have indeed been through scares of all three mentioned global warming, depressions and recessions, and unrest of society for those reasons . I believe that once something is known, then a solution can be found.
These are some signs indeed. I hope that the people all over the globe will be able to join in the efforts to combat some of these challenges, especially climate change and environmental degradation.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

The author actually mentions more than three pillars, and these include taxation, economics and several other social subjects. A sad reality of life is that in order for society to exist, there have to be systems and order regulating its function. Many mystics are not socially inclined individuals and often have impractical notions about how people should live their lives. Although I do not agree with the authors view on these subjects I do feel that he has certainly offered some good advice about self-realisation, however, I would never consider that he would be suitable in a position of political authority. This is merely an observation and not criticism, as that same argument would apply to many politicians in positions of power in the world today.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

To think he was open to new experiences in the Amazon but tried to discern whether they were authentic.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Like other people who've replied, I think that even if he took the vision seriously, he doesn't have a way to prevent it from coming to fruition, so he's focused on his spiritual journey, not saving the whole world.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

nooregano wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 04:04 A lot of religious ideas talk about this collapse of humanity. I think the author did take his vision seriously, but chose to focus on "raising consciousness" instead of slipping into the negative clutches of fear.
That is a good point, indeed. Almost every religion speaks of the end of the world, but from different perspectives. The author really seemed to focus on enlightenment rather than desperation, which I believe is a good way to approach these issues.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I think that the author took the idea seriously enough to mention it in his book. And since he alone cannot prevent this occurrence, he is doing all he can by putting his spiritual books out into the world.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Well, I think he took it seriously enough to write a whole book about spiritual enlightenment so that the human race can survive total destruction, and only huge part of it will suffer unimaginable terrors. Either way, when you think of it, it's already happening. I mean, look at what we've done to our planet? We literally breathe and eat plastic and other garbage. And when the economy finally falls, society will too, cause we're so focused on money as an end in itself, not as a means to accomplish other things.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Kibetious wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 00:41 What I am certain about is that as long as people live, they will always be existence of economy. If the three pillars were to fall, then it would be very detrimental to human existence on earth.
It's an interesting and very insightful thought. Indeed, if the three pillars would fall, that would mean that people are no longer on earth.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

Not to be totally pessimistic, but I feel anyone who's paid attention to the world feels that everything is constantly on the verge of apocalypse.
But, if you consider, many countries have already experienced different forms of apocalypse and destruction of society, economy and ecology. In history this has happened many times. It's a very first-world way of looking at the future when many countries are already suffering.
Of course we should take into consideration these dangerous and prevent them, but it isn't anything new.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I believe this is a common vision or feeling that many people experience. As for his reaction to it? What would you do?
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

Might just be for dramatic effect? Or so that he can point to any bad news and show that, see, it's connected to one of the pillars, proving that the vision is right. For example, unseasonable storms and trash buildup could be ecology collapsing.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

The end of the world as predicted by many religions is to be preceded by the collapse of most things. When and how is not known. I don't think the author was unduly perturbed by it though.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I do not really take these things seriously. Such kinds of descriptions are even mentioned in the religious scriptures but who knows the genuineness of them.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I don't think he took the three pillars very seriously. What he did take seriously was the message that he was to combine the aiki principles with the sotai-ho and that this would lead to enlightenment. He dedicated many years of his life to this activity.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Rangerkay wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 14:25 I really don't feel that he took it seriously, but I think it's hard to take seriously these days. I mean...it does seem that society is moving in that way AND almost every religion has a "doomsday" prophecy. He barely touched on any of it throughout the book and what little he did touch on made it seem as if he was "meh" about the whole idea.

Maybe part of the reason that he came across that way is because society as a whole is desensitized to the entire idea. Look at how many "end of the world" scares we have experienced since year 2k.
I do believe that a human brain thinks a little below level when it comes to a subject like the end of the world. It is more like wasp to think about the collapse of the tree on which it attaches its nest. Therefore it really doesn't strike home to a lot of people untill a certain act or movement that can build enough momentum.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”