How the people around us help or hinder our spiritual journey and our responses.

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Robin345
Currently Reading: Wilderness L Hunt MD
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: How the people around us help or hinder our spiritual journey and our responses.

Post by Robin345 »

Before he was lied to
He wouldn’t have made the mistake made

Code: Select all

;and went out an got in trouble with the law. He learned his lessons John the parent’s son suffered the consequences for the mistake he regretted
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

Dragonsend wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 15:58 I know that when you lose confidence in yourself especially from believing someone's lies or not having someone you feel comfortable confiding in, no strong role models, then all parts of your life suffer.
I concur with you especially in this case the effects of such lies on a young child can be very distractive. That's why he didn't reach out for his dreams, a lie just killed it all
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:

Post by JeanyJean »

louise_kayla wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 12:55 I don't believe you can allow someone to lie to you, but you can choose to accept something you know isn't true to prevent fighting and preserve the peace. You can't control what other people do, just how you react. Lying yourself can hurt your spiritual journey when it's big lies, especially lying to yourself,
But how would such a young brain know that he was being lied to? I think he was very innocent and naive and lacked a role model to hold his hand and guide him which is very unfortunate
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:

Post by JeanyJean »

raqstar1 wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 08:15 I think that the people around you and the ideas that they contribute are all part of the learning and growing that you go through. If there weren't people around you, there would be little learning and growing that would happen as there wouldn't be conflict. Conflict helps you think, hopefully for yourself. So these ideas are a key part of growth and necessary.
I totally agree with you. Those that we surround ourselves with can contribute to our growth and achievement of our dreams and they do contribute a very large %
Christina Puttre
Currently Reading: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-puttre.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Christina Puttre »

I believe his parents paired with the neighbor woman were very important people put in his life. The woman telling the kids to go home and try to convert their parents, and the father rationalizing what the woman said to the reality of what she was actually saying. Those two events sparked him to want to dig deeper into what he actually believed. The dreams gave him the strength to actively seek it out. And the rest of the book is the story of that quest.
If he had a different upbringing, would he have lead the same sort of life? We will never know. However, I believe he was given the parents and that woman to have the life he had.
Lying to yourself is a great way to hinder all growth. Allowing someone to lie to you may or may not hinder your growth. It all depends on the sort of lie. If their lie allows you to lie to yourself, then yes it will hinder your own growth. And therefore your spiritual journey.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I am aware that all aspects of your life suffer when you lose confidence in yourself, particularly as a result of falling for someone else's falsehoods, not having somebody you feel safe confiding in, or lacking positive role models.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I believe that one's social terrain influences thier beliefs about virtually every aspect of life. However as a grown-up, one should critically analyse conflicting ideas, and stick with whichever one they find true.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”