How the people around us help or hinder our spiritual journey and our responses.

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: How the people around us help or hinder our spiritual journey and our responses.

Post by Artizi »

Rosebella wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 13:18 Yes, it does affect you. I have found these lies may lead you down a road you weren't meant to go. It may led to self deception. The interactions with those around us are important, so if they are tainted by lies they will affect consciously and unconsciously.
I agree.Being influenced by those around us Is entirely inevitable yet one must try to decide what Is useful to keep and shar should be discarded.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Spiritual matters are personal because they are quite subjective. So I really feel that the author's parents had a lot of influence in the religious path he later took.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

ofcourse that played a big part of his entire life.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Mouricia25 wrote: 08 May 2019, 23:18 I think his parents were honest with their answers, and I liked how they responded. I do however feel like sometimes we take things to heart. Things we can't control and shouldn't try to control. That lie however really did destroy him more than I would have liked.
That lie really did tear him down, here is my OPINION, when you are trying to be the best person that you can be and you allow someone to get away with the "little things" then those things pile up on you. The example in this book tells the truth about letting people abuse your kindness. Usually it hurts you more than it does them. Then there is another truth here as well, those "little things" usually hide a deeper problem. Thank you for your response!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

imSunshine wrote: 18 May 2019, 00:06 ofcourse that played a big part of his entire life.
I'm sure that Richard found himself in other situations of this nature at other times in his life. Obviously as he matured he handled them in more mature ways!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 »

We learn everything fron those around us. How to interact with each other, especially what we believe. When younger we go to Sunday school and as we grow we take what we learn and apply it to our daily lives.

If we are around positive peopke we tend to reflect that. The same is true when around negativity.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

Dragonsend wrote: 18 May 2019, 13:19
imSunshine wrote: 18 May 2019, 00:06 ofcourse that played a big part of his entire life.
I'm sure that Richard found himself in other situations of this nature at other times in his life. Obviously as he matured he handled them in more mature ways!
Yes I agree..everybody can handle themselves in their own way
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

A person is always influenced by people around. Although i believe that the soul finds its true place sooner or later but still the environment affects the time it would take to start our spiritual journey. :compta:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

I hope that every one can find their road to enlightenment. A spiritual journey is so deeply personal and some don't like to dig deep.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I think people are absolutely molded by the people we surround ourselves with, but even more so as a child. As we get older we can learn how to protect ourselves from the negativity of others and decipher truth from lies, but I believe it still takes a toll on the psyche.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

I think that as humans we are greatly influenced by people around us, we get to believe most of the things they tell us and sometimes if the things they tell us is lies, we also believe them and this sometimes leads us astray. I think allowing someone to lie to us can really do bad to our spiritual life.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Everything that happens to us is a matter of response and reaction. Richard's actions had a purpose, he was meant to experience those events in his life to help shape him better.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

eastandalchemy wrote: 24 May 2019, 16:22 I think people are absolutely molded by the people we surround ourselves with, but even more so as a child. As we get older we can learn how to protect ourselves from the negativity of others and decipher truth from lies, but I believe it still takes a toll on the psyche.
Beautiful answer. Thank you!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Catherine Amarachi wrote: 25 May 2019, 00:58 I think that as humans we are greatly influenced by people around us, we get to believe most of the things they tell us and sometimes if the things they tell us is lies, we also believe them and this sometimes leads us astray. I think allowing someone to lie to us can really do bad to our spiritual life.
You said a mouthful, who wants to waste time on figure out the truth from a lie. Draining!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Vivianne Nat wrote: 26 May 2019, 07:56 Everything that happens to us is a matter of response and reaction. Richard's actions had a purpose, he was meant to experience those events in his life to help shape him better.
I too am happy that he could rise above.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”