How the people around us help or hinder our spiritual journey and our responses.

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Re: How the people around us help or hinder our spiritual journey and our responses.

Post by Wyland »

I think his parents' opinion of his visions influenced him a lot. For one, it made him think of leaving home to pursue his dreams, since they never believed in what he had to say.
Nadine Forsberg
Currently Reading: The Land of Stories: Worlds Collide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine-forsberg.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Nadine Forsberg »

I think that people do have a big influence on our religious views. All my life I have been forced to go to church and because of that I got an interest in other religions.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It doesn't matter whether it is a lie or truth, curiosity leads a person to reach the root of the cause. Definitely it was people around him, who made him go deeper in the spiritual path.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

In my opinion, i don't think allowing someone to lie to me hinders my spiritual journey, however, believing and taking heed to the lie hinders my spiritual journey and that is why association really matters in our journey of life.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Everyone in our life affects us in one way or another but in the end, we choose what we believe. You don't really allow someone to lie to you, no one wants lies.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Daniel_ wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 07:03 In my opinion, i don't think allowing someone to lie to me hinders my spiritual journey, however, believing and taking heed to the lie hinders my spiritual journey and that is why association really matters in our journey of life.
What really irks me about lieing, that you felt the need to do so in the first place. I know this reflects more on the liar than on the person they are lying to, but allowing someone to lie to me or around me, I would have to call them on it and then most likely disassociate myself from them.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Lying to yourself and hising your true self because you're scared that the immediate people in your circle, like your family, will judge you,hinders your personal and spiritual growth. I believe one has to move freely whilst being as noble and as compassionate as possible.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

I don't think believing someone else's lies hinders one's spiritual journey. Telling the lie is on their conscience. Believing their lie, giving them the benefit of doubt shows your own forgiving nature. If anything, it will take you forward spiritually. Even if you are deceived, it can be taken as a positive lesson.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

MirageP wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 12:20 I don't think believing someone else's lies hinders one's spiritual journey. Telling the lie is on their conscience. Believing their lie, giving them the benefit of doubt shows your own forgiving nature. If anything, it will take you forward spiritually. Even if you are deceived, it can be taken as a positive lesson.
It's true that when you believed that person, but when that illusion is gone? Remember the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." We don't have to lose our forgiving nature because of someone's lies, but we are most times given the ability to discern the truth, just because we are forgiving and trusting doesn't mean that we should allow lying, strength in forgiveness and growth all involves a mature approach to someone who lies. Some people feed on lies and if you don't defend yourself from this(your response) then they will never stop.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

Dragonsend wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 12:38
It's true that when you believed that person, but when that illusion is gone? Remember the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." We don't have to lose our forgiving nature because of someone's lies, but we are most times given the ability to discern the truth, just because we are forgiving and trusting doesn't mean that we should allow lying, strength in forgiveness and growth all involves a mature approach to someone who lies. Some people feed on lies and if you don't defend yourself from this(your response) then they will never stop.
Maybe it depends on your relationship with the liar? I'd be willing to believe, and to forgive, some people more than others. But yes, others' negativity does take a toll on our spirit, and spiritual journey. Compassion and understanding must go in hand with self preservation and worldliness.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

MirageP wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 12:57
Dragonsend wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 12:38
Maybe it depends on your relationship with the liar? I'd be willing to believe, and to forgive, some people more than others. But yes, others' negativity does take a toll on our spirit, and spiritual journey. Compassion and understanding must go in hand with self preservation and worldliness.
You are correct and every situation is different. I have done a lot of work with addicts and people who lie, I consider myself a very gracious person, however, in the kind of situations I deal with, I know that the lying has to stop for any kind of life to emerge.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Anyone who has been in the halls of an American high school will tell you that social pressure is no joke. I am seeing more and more of this: students from other countries abandoning their religion at the doorway of the school. They go into restrooms and change, then change again before they go home. At graduation they look completely different.

So yes, the people around us have great influence on our spiritual journeys.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 08:37 Anyone who has been in the halls of an American high school will tell you that social pressure is no joke. I am seeing more and more of this: students from other countries abandoning their religion at the doorway of the school. They go into restrooms and change, then change again before they go home. At graduation they look completely different.

So yes, the people around us have great influence on our spiritual journeys.
It is a shame that they don't have someone that can approach them in a way that doesn't make them defensive, peer pressure to change so that you will fit in then you start losing your unique identity.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with the above that people we associate with can influence the way we act, the way we think and the way we grow. I think, if we spend too much time with the wrong crowd, it can affect us negatively.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

as much as people can affect us, its all on you how you respond and change yourself. John lied, but Richard himself was a pure person. He needs to understand that anyone can lie to you, its about how you react

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”