Finding Jesus' bones?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Finding Jesus' bones?

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think so, yes. Not literally, but metaphorically. I think he means bones as discovering the "core" or truth of Jesus' teachings and going past what the way, as the author says, mankind has twisted His teachings. By achieving enlightenment and unconditional love I think he was able to find His bones.
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

I'm still skeptical about the meaning behind it :/ I am not sure I understood the hidden meaning... :?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I also support the opinion that the author was not in any fact looking for bones literally. If he received the vision from Jesus, then Jesus resurrected which means that there would be no bones to look for. Therefore, this had a different meaning and it was to find the core of the teaching of Jesus. The answer was given at the end of the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I'm sure that in his way the author does feel like he has found Jesus's bones.

Yet, that whole concept or metaphor is beyond me. I understand that with the author that it is related to a dream that he had. But, as far as finding Jesus's bones sounds a bit off coming to me...We all are aware that he was buried in that tomb or cave therefore even if he did not rise like it is said to have happened when his remains would still, in fact, be in that same place where his body was stored.
Chelsea N. Hackett
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Let's not deceive ourselves. Jesus arose from the grave and ascended to heaven. He is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. My belief tells me Jesus is alive and his bones are not available.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I think he was trying to find what he believed about Jesus. Son of God or just a prophet. Real or just a story.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think the author did not succeed in finding Jesus' bones. Jesus had a bodily resurrection after his death. No other religion believes in the resurrection of the body. Most eastern religions believe in the reincarnation. The author spent decades searching for an answer, but he missed the essential.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I really didn' t get the sense that the author made this his preoccupation from the places he visited and the journeys shared.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It was a noble course that he had to fulfill and I think he managed to complete the mission. Seeing how the author is really zealous, he would not have stopped without achieving what he had begun.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 16:08 I think it was mainly used as a metaphor signifying that the author was chosen to find the authentic meaning behind Jesus's teachings and then propagating it to others.
Yes! Authenticity. That explanation makes sense to me. He was talking about getting to the root, the core, the "real deal." I agree!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Kibetious wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 13:16 I also support the opinion that the author was not in any fact looking for bones literally. If he received the vision from Jesus, then Jesus resurrected which means that there would be no bones to look for. Therefore, this had a different meaning and it was to find the core of the teaching of Jesus. The answer was given at the end of the book.
Now the challenge, or perhaps journey, is to achieve this beautiful answer Haight provided at the end of the book.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

The resurrection of Christ is fundamental aspect of Christianity.The bible makes mention of people finding an empty tomb,and so,finding the bones of Christ if taken literally,is an affront to Christianity.Perhaps those are metaphorical bones.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

The fact he started off with this 'quest' given to him and at the end decided that it was love that was the bones made me feel a little let down. I was hoping he'd have looked into the literal possibilities (such as where the resurrection happened) or explored other possibilities to come to other conclusions, and if he'd tried to reach out in meditation to find out if he was on the right path.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 21:18 Jesus' bones refer to his core teachings. Jesus spoke in parables in the Bible, so maybe this was why he chose to appear 'boneless' in the author's dream. It is not meant to be taken literally. The author simply had to revive Jesus' true teachings and share it with the world.
This is definitely the most likely scenario for the use of the term. But it's an odd way to describe that, as so many others have pointed out. I think the author probably needed to expand on the term a bit further.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

He explained that Jesus' bone may be interpreted as unconditioned love. If one will ponder about it, it makes sense. Unconditional love is very hard to attain or give, which is the exact thing Jesus gave to everyone. His love was unconditional and gave His life on the cross to save everyone. Everything will be futile without that unconditional love. That's why it's very important and referred to as Jesus' bones or His very essence.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”