Mixing religious ideas

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Mixing religious ideas

Post by Chikari »

I enjoyed that there are multiple spiritual and religious ideas referenced throughout Unbound Soul. What do you think about Haight mixing these practices together?

I think it makes his methods usable by more people. Having options is always good and he does a great job explaining why he uses each practice. For example, I really enjoyed his discussions regarding meditation and reincarnarion.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I agree! I think there is insight and truth that can be gained from many different religions and they have a common thread. I don't hold to belief in reincarnation, but I like that he says it isn't necessary to believe it.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I do agree that in idea it makes it more accessible to more people. However, I think religiously devout people may have an issues with their beliefs being interwoven with others.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Diversity in the presented spiritual and religious ideas gives flexibility to the book, and enhances its appeal to a wider array of readers.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 14:26 Diversity in the presented spiritual and religious ideas gives flexibility to the book, and enhances its appeal to a wider array of readers.
I thought so too. Shows how the author of the book is open minded.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I think it's great that he included multiple spiritual practices. I took a world religions class in college and found elements to many of the religions we studied that appealed to me. So, I think it would be useful to people who are thinking about their spirituality, especially if they weren't religious or spiritual before.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I love how he included a variety of aspects from different religions, because a wider variety of people are likely to be inclined to read it. I also appreciate this because, not being overly religious or educated in various religions, it allows for a wider understanding of the work.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

Mixing religious ideas in a book is fine with me but I know that the Christian genre in the USA is hugh. I don't think mixing religious ideas would work very well for those books. There's pretty much a set mold and it would be really hard to break that mold. I can appreciate different perspectives but I admit it's hard sometimes to change my ideals.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 17:02 I think it's great that he included multiple spiritual practices. I took a world religions class in college and found elements to many of the religions we studied that appealed to me. So, I think it would be useful to people who are thinking about their spirituality, especially if they weren't religious or spiritual before.
I also took a world religion type class recently. It was amazing to learn about all of the different ideas that people hold. Like you did, I found many of those ideas of interest.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I guess I enjoyed more of his conversations about the instability of the mind and the idea of vibration and frequency. So, I think each reader will find something in his book that resonates with them. I found the reincarnation part a little out there, but he did speak about not taking everything at face value. Just because someone says it’s the truth, doesn’t mean it is. So that’s what the book offers...various topics that appeal to some and not others. I think it’s a great way to examine one’s beliefs and think about why we adhere to them. This book does this perfectly.
Everything happens for a reason...
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

I grew up Christian. (Probably not the best, I didn't always go to church or bible studies, but Christian nonetheless.) As I grew up and started learning about other religions, I became interested. I like the mixing of religions. I know lots of people do not think it shouldn't be a pick-and-choose type of thing, but I don't agree with that.
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

This is a book that people who are staunch Christians will not enjoy because they may consider it as blasphemy. Especially the part of finding Jesus' bones
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoy the author bringing in practices from several different religions or wisdom traditions. I think back to the story the author told early on when he was attending the Bible study and was told his family would go to hell if they didn't embrace Jesus as their savior. His father pointed out a loving God would not damn anyone for their beliefs. There are flaws in most religions. They can't all be accurate or we would have all been damned. It makes sense to take what works for you and leave the rest.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think it allows for more open mindedness to mingle various beliefs. It may not be for everyone. Some people are set in their own beliefs and would have a difficult times practicing something different from what they know. However, for others, it allows for different learning experiences.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I certainly agree with the author mixing various religious beliefs together as I feel that he is trying to demonstrate that there is a grain of truth in every religion and not just one belief is true and the only truth. I believe that to condemn someone to hell after they die just because they do support a particular religion is naive and very short-sighted. I also believe that the author also hopes to appeal to a wide audience and not to restrict his ideas just to one religion.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”