Mixing religious ideas

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Re: Mixing religious ideas

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I think it's completely healthy for people to build up a practice all their own or otherwise just investigate what beliefs they may agree with in comparison to others. I'm not a religious person, but am somewhat spiritual, and I enjoy meditating as well as pondering over and entertaining the idea of a soul or different powers in the universe. It's interesting to delve into and explore these things, and should be encouraged. Don't blindly follow or believe anything without question just because other people do it or you were raised to be that way. Find what makes sense and speaks to you. Follow your own moral code. Take inspiration, but be an open mind, be an individual.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I think in this age, people tend to more educated regarding various spiritualities, and more people tend to benefit from it. We feel less compelled to restrict our awareness to one belief system. That said, I think it’s pretty great that the author was able to engage with spirituality so fluidly. Something we could all learn from!
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I think its always great to combine different views so that people can learn more about other views.
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

I personally disagree with it. To each his own though. Everyone has the right to choose for themselves, nothing should ever be forced.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I think people who are firm in their own religious or spiritual beliefs are able to handle reading a mixture of other ideas without having their faith overly challenged. If anything, being exposed to other ideas may make one's own faith stronger, as the reader must then reconcile the new information with their own beliefs and really question themselves.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

Mixing religious ideas doesn't seem that bad, mostly if they don't go against what you believe in
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I don't think the author would get away with mixing religions like that in real life but for the purposes of the book, it was interesting to see. At least each of them appeared to be treated with the proper respect they deserve.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I don't buy the idea of mixing of religious ideas; i think we all should be able to stand for what we believe and not settle in for a blend of different religious ideas. I am a christian by religion and belief.
Nadine Forsberg
Currently Reading: The Land of Stories: Worlds Collide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine-forsberg.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Nadine Forsberg »

I think it is actually nice. Some believe that all gods actually comedown to one. And even if one single religion is not the right one, they all bring sone good qualities to the table that is good for a person to have.
njc28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by njc28 »

mixing different religious ideas shows how the the author teas people for searching beyond their what they know about something.
Amanda Stueve Pense
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astueve.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by Amanda Stueve Pense »

Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:21 I do agree that in idea it makes it more accessible to more people. However, I think religiously devout people may have an issues with their beliefs being interwoven with others.
I think it depends on how the author presents it, and also what frame of mind the reader is in. I'm very against the "pick-and-choose" style of religiosity; at the same time I've been influenced in my spiritual journey by other religions and I firmly believe that there is wisdom and truth in all religions. However, I would reject things that contradict my own religion, like reincarnation.

Does the author present different ideas as options or is he laying forth one coherent belief he's developed that blends ideas from different religions?
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

I am not sure if reading about other religions would add value to my faith. I would hesitate to read a book with a mixture of different religions.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

I think there is a time and place for mixing religious beliefs, especially if their general messages overlap. There's nothing wrong with cross referencing different beliefs if they lead to the same conclusion about something.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I don't believe people committed to one religion will like the way religions are mixed in this book.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think it is a good thing. Maybe people will realize that different religions have more in common than they thought.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”