Mixing religious ideas

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
eleanorthereader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleanorthereader.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Mixing religious ideas

Post by eleanorthereader »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 16:39 I think mixing both of these ideologies can make this book appealing to a wider audience and can help people coming from different perspectives to find a common ground. Maybe the author is trying to convey that there is something to learn from every religion and spiritual practice, if we agree to not restrict our beliefs to a specific idea.
I did like how Haight tried to bridge his ideas with several religions. It universalized his experience, instead of keeping his ideas individual (and almost finite).
alexandra_alfaro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by alexandra_alfaro »

Hi Chilkari,
I think that as well, when people are given options and the chance to evaluate them. They will take the ones that suit or identify them the most. When we’re talking about religion or anything spiritual, its very hard for people to understand each branch, by the books perspective were able to comprehend why this person decides to use each practice and how.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

In my opinion, it can be a good thing. Mixing religious ideas may not be a great idea for others who are deeply invested in their own religions or beliefs, but this can possibly prove to be a new, plausible perspective on things. I normally don't stray away from my own belief, but it's all right to be open-minded sometimes. That's what I think.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:21 I do agree that in idea it makes it more accessible to more people. However, I think religiously devout people may have an issues with their beliefs being interwoven with others.
I feel the author meant that all religion's foundation is unconditional love for everyone around and I guess even a religious person should not get offended by such a thought.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think I have to terms with the fact that we can all never agree on issues especially religion. I think mixing practices might make his book more acceptable to a wide variety of people with different religious beliefs, but then there are some others who are conservative and not keen to explore alternative religious theories.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Chikari wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 12:35 I enjoyed that there are multiple spiritual and religious ideas referenced throughout Unbound Soul. What do you think about Haight mixing these practices together?
I thought Haight referenced the three religions to point out that they have a common theme. He focused on the similarities and using the various quotes to support his thought.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I'm a Christian and I like to learn about other religions and their doctrines. Mixing religious ideas is insightful; it also allows for open-mindedness
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
MatisseVH
Currently Reading: Black Death at the Golden Gate
Bookshelf Size: 1515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matissevh.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MatisseVH »

I think it works. Most religious practices, from my experience, all have similar morals and stories to help you be a good person. I think that if you haven't found one religion that works for you, that you can find a select few practices in order to achieve what you are searching for in this world. I find this book to be a well done example of this.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I think it's a great thing. In my opinion, personal belief is not a "one size fits all" situation. Everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for another. Take what works from wherever it comes and use it however works for you.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
scrivoio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrivoio.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by scrivoio »

I agree. I think making the book more inclusive makes it more relatable to a wider array of readers. Religion and faith are sort of ambiguous, too, in the way that there isn’t a black-and-white way to worship. Because of this, everyone has different experiences practicing. Instead of allowing these differences to form rifts between cultures, I think immersion and integration are key steps towards universal acceptance and the elimination of ignorance.
scrivoio
Currently Reading:

Post by scrivoio »

frowngoclownfish wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:57 I grew up Christian. (Probably not the best, I didn't always go to church or bible studies, but Christian nonetheless.) As I grew up and started learning about other religions, I became interested. I like the mixing of religions. I know lots of people do not think it shouldn't be a pick-and-choose type of thing, but I don't agree with that.
I grew up Roman Catholic and almost all of my friends were either catholic (like me) or Buddhist, Muslim, Sikh, or Jewish. Being friends with so many people who all had so many different backgrounds was a huge point in my development growing up. It inspired me to look beyond just my own church to explore my faith, enriching the experience of religious worship for me. These days, I’m not much for organized religion as much as I believe in some abstract type of a higher power, but I still think the experiences I had with those people were invaluable.
scrivoio
Currently Reading:

Post by scrivoio »

oaktreehill wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 20:52 Mixing religious ideas in a book is fine with me but I know that the Christian genre in the USA is hugh. I don't think mixing religious ideas would work very well for those books. There's pretty much a set mold and it would be really hard to break that mold. I can appreciate different perspectives but I admit it's hard sometimes to change my ideals.
I hear what you’re saying, but I would argue that there’s always a market for any type of book, especially one that encourages inclusivity in the 21st century.
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

Someone once told me that when you mix different religions you create another religion. I think this would be beneficial in bringing people together and helping them understand our creator better.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I agree with a few of the people here that think that while it is a good idea, not a lot of people will go for it. I've been drowned in extremist views from multiple religions and the commonality between them all is, 'My religion is right and yours can go burn in the pits for not being mine.' Those who are extremists wont listen to even a possibility of this but I like the idea.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Mixing multiple religious and spiritual ideas made the book very comprehensive and appealing to lots of religions. For me, I thought it was dangerous a times to do so considering that these religious ideas stemed from different backgrounds that didn't agree entirely with each other.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”