Author's role

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Re: Author's role

Post by Poppy Drear »

In all honesty, this is so vague that it seems like the author himself didn't have a set meaning in mind! I may be wrong, but I think it might just be expected of the reader to impose their own meaning onto these statements.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

cpru68 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 02:03 I guess I look at it this way...John the Baptist announced that Jesus was coming. He never claimed to be Jesus, he was just the one to say..hey, everyone! Look, it’s him! And people had to make up
their own minds of they believed or not. I see the author saying..hey everyone! You can have revelation if you choose to. I’m just announcing it in case you want it. So I saw his role in the book as a trumpet blower announcing that we can live from the spirit instead of the mind.

That’s my best guess!
I couldn't agree with you any less. He indeed is not the revealer. His role is to show the world a path to follow.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

BrittaniDJ wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 23:54 At the beginning of chapter one, there is a prelude of sorts that states:
we are on the brink of a revelation, I am not the revealer, we are on the brink of a revelation, this is my role
. My question is, what does the author believe his role to be if not a revealer? A messenger that does not wish to take credit for the message? One who presents opportunities for people to find their own revelations? One who provides a foundation for exploration?
I think your questions answer your questions. Why should a messenger take credit for the message that didn't originate from him?
He was meant to thread the path and show the world the way to follow, if they want to.
Look at these scriptures (Today's English Version)...

Matthew 11
25 At that time Jesus said, “Father, Lord of heaven and earth! I thank you because you have shown to the unlearned what you have hidden from the wise and learned.
26 Yes, Father, this was how you were pleased to have it happen.
27 “My Father has given me all things. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28 “Come to me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke and put it on you, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit; and you will find rest.
30 For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light.”
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

While it is true that every human being has a purpose on earth, no matter how significant it is, when the purpose actually turns into fruition is when the person's role is fulfilled. We have to see for the author's role to expand to properly say anything about it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The author indeed is playing a role of being a medium of communication. However, he also does more by showing that the mission is possible and achievable because he led by example. It would have been absurd if he was to advise people only, yet he himself had not been able to do it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

The author said he had to share the information he knew to the world.I do not think he sees himself as a messenger or a revealer but in my perspective i think he is a messenger.

People do not have faith in a lot of things Haight talks about but maybe some people's beliefs will change after reading this book.
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

I think he means that the time of change and revelation has come. The fact that he will be the messenger for it is just coincidential and so he isn't the revealer more than anyone else could have been
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I think he sees himself more as an awareness creator instead of a messenger or revealer. He is trying to make people think about certain things, not to convince them of something.
Cassandra Albee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassandra-albee.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Cassandra Albee »

Agreeing with most everyone. It seems he is a profit. A messenger. Someone to open your eyes.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think the author seems himself as a catalyst in the process of God's revelation. He sees himself only as an instrument in God's hands. This is healthy spirituality.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I like the path that Richard took in that he just advises the reader. However, his advice includes the fact that the reader does not have to use his methods entirely as they are or continue depending on them. In a way, he thus becomes more of a person who is guiding the reader through a process.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
promise10
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by promise10 »

The author was trying to encourage readers to find their calling. As we saw, it also took him a lot of soul searching to find his. He just informed readers that there is work to be done or there is an exploration of purpose to be made but he doesn't assign the duties.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

cpru68 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 02:03 I guess I look at it this way...John the Baptist announced that Jesus was coming. He never claimed to be Jesus, he was just the one to say..hey, everyone! Look, it’s him! And people had to make up
their own minds of they believed or not. I see the author saying..hey everyone! You can have revelation if you choose to. I’m just announcing it in case you want it. So I saw his role in the book as a trumpet blower announcing that we can live from the spirit instead of the mind.

That’s my best guess!
This is a good analogy and way to look at it. The author is also adding that 'I have seen and achieved what I am giving you'. So, he becomes a messenger.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I believe he minimizes his role as well. Anyone who devotes their life to finding Jesus' bones and then finds this all encompassing love and wants to help people on a spiritual path is definitely a guide. I also believe that those guides want no credit for that either but want you to also be led by the spirit.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Well, it seems like he is only the medium. Perhaps he helps convey the revelation, and then it's up to the people to find their own revelations if they wish.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”