Author's role

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Author's role

Post by briellejee »

cpru68 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 02:03 I guess I look at it this way...John the Baptist announced that Jesus was coming. He never claimed to be Jesus, he was just the one to say..hey, everyone! Look, it’s him! And people had to make up
their own minds of they believed or not. I see the author saying..hey everyone! You can have revelation if you choose to. I’m just announcing it in case you want it. So I saw his role in the book as a trumpet blower announcing that we can live from the spirit instead of the mind.

That’s my best guess!
Nice comparison! and describing him as a trumpet blower certainly makes sense and is fitting for his disclaimer. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

The author's role is the one who brings the message but it is everyone's role to find the enlightenment.

This author does not want credit for the enlightenment because everyone is on their own journey.
Spencer Mack
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This is definitely ambiguous.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting point! Sounds more like a guide to me like: look I can get you there but you have to understand it by your own means.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I guess he doesn't want to take credit for whatever he wrote. I can't be sure though because I haven't read it yet.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

The author is playing the role of John the Baptist by announcing the revelation is here but not giving it to them or claiming any recognition.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

The author acknowledgesto be the messenger but does not want to brag that he is the source of the message. Its kind of humbling how he views his role.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 17:28 I think that the author tries to show that every person should find his own revelations. Maybe people need someone to urge them to make a certain revelation; however, no one can reveal something instead of you.
I like your interpretation here. Like he wants to show others the information and power he's found, but he can't force others to follow. Nor is he looking to lead a revolution.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would go with the one that seems to present a role of providing an opportunity for people to find their own revelation. There are some instances where such 'contradictions' occurred too. For example, when the author states that he saw no need for mentors or teachers then goes to state that he had no other mentor apart from a spiritual one.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

cpru68 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 02:03 I guess I look at it this way...John the Baptist announced that Jesus was coming. He never claimed to be Jesus, he was just the one to say..hey, everyone! Look, it’s him! And people had to make up
their own minds of they believed or not. I see the author saying..hey everyone! You can have revelation if you choose to. I’m just announcing it in case you want it. So I saw his role in the book as a trumpet blower announcing that we can live from the spirit instead of the mind.

That’s my best guess!
Very well said cpru👍 you really nailed it.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I'm a parent and I would like to throw a parent child analogy here. I show my children the various options they have in life ...like swimming lessons, music lessons, basketball, and so on so forth. But they get to pick what resonates with them the most. So does the author ...this is my life he says, you can take what you want and leave what you want. I present but can't reveal your truth. Hence the question ...what's your role?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

His role was to find the essence of Jesus' teaching and to give it back to humanity. It appears that he undertook the role, but he wants people to discover this for themselves too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Richard presents opportunities for people to find their own revelations through his life experiences and the description of spirituality.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

He is saying that he is a revealer whose role is to find the true meaning of God's teachings and his own revelations, then, provide the opportunity for others to find their own calling or revelations through his experience or writing.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I was confused with regards to the contradiction in that sentence at first as well. It makes more sense to me now having read the book and taking a look back at it once again. I feel like the meaning is similar to saying, "I am not God, but I am a messenger here to do my part to help achieve the overall purpose".
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”