What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I enjoyed the author's crafty way of preventing himself from being mugged. What experience or statement in this book stood out to you, hillarious or introspective?
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

This example isn't funny but it is ironic and I love it. He was in special education classes and had a learning disorder so reading was very hard for him. His best friend inspired him to read and helped him get better at it. And now, he is an author!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:50 This example isn't funny but it is ironic and I love it. He was in special education classes and had a learning disorder so reading was very hard for him. His best friend inspired him to read and helped him get better at it. And now, he is an author!
I totally agree! His book was even self-published so I'm sure he did a lot of the editing on his own and the book was almost grammatical perfect.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

Delaney35 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:30
PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:50 This example isn't funny but it is ironic and I love it. He was in special education classes and had a learning disorder so reading was very hard for him. His best friend inspired him to read and helped him get better at it. And now, he is an author!
I totally agree! His book was even self-published so I'm sure he did a lot of the editing on his own and the book was almost grammatical perfect.
Quite a few young students who were classed as learning disability or special ed have ended up becoming prolific readers and even authors as adults. It's really impressive, and speaks well of the young student AND their English teachers and tutors.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I must admit that I enjoyed the manner in which he described his introduction to the bible and the born again woman who told them that they would all go to hell if they did not convert immediately, and then his description as to how his father showed him that this was probably incorrect as there were so many translations of the Bible and also that there were so many human beings on this earth who would go to hell because of their beliefs.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I enjoyed the part where he mentioned about his first encounter with the Bible as a child, and I also liked the one where he challenged himself to read books in spite of his learning disorder.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I liked the same part as yours, but what stuck with me the most is the part about the Bible and his dad's explanation with it. As born into a Christian family, I wished someone explained that to me back then rather than telling us that we would burn in hell if we wouldn't. Fear is a motivator, but l think love succeeds all.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Same here, the way author prevent himself from being mugged was funny.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I loved the part where he pretended to be a coyote and tried to scare the neighbor girl while she was out riding her horse. By the time it was over, his brother really thought there was a coyote and wouldn’t believe that he was behind the prank! Hilarious and an impressive message on how the mind can play tricks on us.
Everything happens for a reason...
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

There were a lot of standout moments in the book, but the funniest for me would have to be the way he avoids getting mugged.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html

Post by briellejee »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 10:47 I loved the part where he pretended to be a coyote and tried to scare the neighbor girl while she was out riding her horse. By the time it was over, his brother really thought there was a coyote and wouldn’t believe that he was behind the prank! Hilarious and an impressive message on how the mind can play tricks on us.
I forgot about this part, now that you mentioned it, it was indeed funny. Also, it makes an impression that the author can do coyote sounds really well. :wink2: :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 17:07 I also liked the one where he challenged himself to read books in spite of his learning disorder.
This part struck me as well! It's so important to challenge yourself and it was inspiring to read about how determined he was.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html

Post by Christinabooklover »

I am a little sceptic about the book. Meditation is a powerful book for improving our life. However, I find it difficult to believe that you can visualise the writing in a folded paper metres away. It stood out for me the following experience.

"Onstage, probably 70 yards from me, came the raffle announcer. I looked at him as if through a telescope. I could see inside his right front pants pocket, which contained a folded piece of paper. Just then, a bullet of pure white light shot from the paper and hit me in the forehead, and I saw that my name was written on the paper. He reached into his pocket, took out the paper, opened it, and with a strong southern accent said, “The winner of the MCI cordless phone raffle is—” I stood up before he said the name, “— Richard Haight.” I had won the raffle, yet I didn’t care about the phone. All I cared about was the depth of spirit that had touched me through prayer and what it might imply."
Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” – JK Rowling
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

timd wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 14:12 I must admit that I enjoyed the manner in which he described his introduction to the bible and the born again woman who told them that they would all go to hell if they did not convert immediately, and then his description as to how his father showed him that this was probably incorrect as there were so many translations of the Bible and also that there were so many human beings on this earth who would go to hell because of their beliefs.
Wow, that's really a good point. Malicious Believes can really put people to Hell.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I wouldn't know as I have not read the book yet. However, it appears that there are several aspects of the book that is laced with humour.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”