What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Post by Diana Lowery »

The scene that stands out to me the most is when he drank the bowl of hallucinogens in the Amazon. It reminded me of the people who drank the Kool-Aid in Africa. I think it was brave of him to include this in his memoir, but it did make me doubt his credibility. I need to go back and reread the mugging scene. I don't remember it as being funny.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Kibetious wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 22:25 I am still laughing at myself for thinking that there was some special power that dealt with the car key of another vehicle type opening the door of his car. I could not have told that the key lock had not been repaired hence any key could open it. I also anticipated for the door of the car to open when Richard took Tim along with him to prove that he was right.
This scene bothered me rather than made me laugh. I have had many incidents similar to this and never thought that they were the result of a "special power." It bothered me in the sense that maybe I am taking the credit for something that I didn't do on my own.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

What stood out to me in The Unbound Soul, was after his experience with the Amazon hallucinogenic. It was what he did not do that stood out. Although it was small and possibly insignificant, he felt it necessary to include in the book.
The next day, after his Amazon vision, the other visitors to the village had left to a different village and he saw the peoples doing their purge and discussing their dreams. The fact that he did not talk to them and even mentioned his vision to get their view astounded me. Feeling he did not have the right to do so, and not wanting to intrude on their daily ritual was special for some reason. If his experience was as significant as he felt, his ability to keep it in is beyond me.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Lana Shea
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lana-shea.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Lana Shea »

I thought the part where he prentended to be a coyote was so funny. He was so afraid to get caught but continued with his prank. I found it interesting how after it was over his brother was so sure of what he saw even after being told the truth.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

The moment that stood out the most for me wasn't a funny one actually. It was when he started seeing the evil spirits watching him sleep and then kind of sucking his energy out. That really had me scared there for a moment.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

fictaddict wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 14:03
Delaney35 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:30
PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:50 This example isn't funny but it is ironic and I love it. He was in special education classes and had a learning disorder so reading was very hard for him. His best friend inspired him to read and helped him get better at it. And now, he is an author!
I totally agree! His book was even self-published so I'm sure he did a lot of the editing on his own and the book was almost grammatical perfect.
Quite a few young students who were classed as learning disability or special ed have ended up becoming prolific readers and even authors as adults. It's really impressive, and speaks well of the young student AND their English teachers and tutors.
I feel these kinds of examples have always been inspirational for a lot of people around who are otherwise thought to be weak people by society.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

timd wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 14:12 I must admit that I enjoyed the manner in which he described his introduction to the bible and the born again woman who told them that they would all go to hell if they did not convert immediately, and then his description as to how his father showed him that this was probably incorrect as there were so many translations of the Bible and also that there were so many human beings on this earth who would go to hell because of their beliefs.
I was also intrigued by this description as such kind of things always come to my mind and I thought Richard has explained it very well.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

briellejee wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 22:22 I liked the same part as yours, but what stuck with me the most is the part about the Bible and his dad's explanation with it. As born into a Christian family, I wished someone explained that to me back then rather than telling us that we would burn in hell if we wouldn't. Fear is a motivator, but l think love succeeds all.
I also feel that if someone would have told me these things in the early phase of my life, I might have lived a freer life.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

cpru68 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 10:47 I loved the part where he pretended to be a coyote and tried to scare the neighbor girl while she was out riding her horse. By the time it was over, his brother really thought there was a coyote and wouldn’t believe that he was behind the prank! Hilarious and an impressive message on how the mind can play tricks on us.
I also loved this description of the incident that happened in the author's life and I found it quite humorous.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The author's experience that stood out to me the most was his first time to have an Inspirience. I found it creepy, but I mean that in a good way. It seems like the experience of a lifetime and I wish the same thing would happen to me.
Src_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-src-reader.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Src_reader »

The one that stood out the most to me was his experience in Amazon. I've never heard of anything like that before. His hallucination to gain his path made me a bit skeptical. I doubted if it should be considered spiritual or not.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html

Post by Mai Tran »

There were quite a few moments that stood out, but I must agree with you that the way he avoided getting mugged was the funniest.
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

I was struck by the part where he challenged himself to read books even when he knew he had learning disorders.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Delaney35 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:30
PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:50 This example isn't funny but it is ironic and I love it. He was in special education classes and had a learning disorder so reading was very hard for him. His best friend inspired him to read and helped him get better at it. And now, he is an author!
I totally agree! His book was even self-published so I'm sure he did a lot of the editing on his own and the book was almost grammatical perfect.
I love this example as well! Not only is it ironic it's inspiring! The things we can do when we put our minds to it. . .
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 08:22 The author's experience that stood out to me the most was his first time to have an Inspirience. I found it creepy, but I mean that in a good way. It seems like the experience of a lifetime and I wish the same thing would happen to me.
This comment alone makes me want to choose the book for my next review! I kinda like creepy, so I'm intrigued! Thanks for your response!

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”