The validity of mythic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: The validity of mythic experience?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

One thing that still puzzles is the fact that the author never gave up. There are instances in the book that really point to the fact that the author was bent on fulfilling his mission. Lacking mentors was one of them. His ability to stick to what he began is the other thing that I still appreciate about the author.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

starshipsaga wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:59 The awakening from depressed and suicidal to finding meaning in his dream that gave him a new lease on life. I believe this was the turning point that led to the biggest change in the author. Some people never experience that switch, or they go through the change more gradually, so his experience is actually quite unique and special in that regard.
I agree with you that what made his experience unique is that the change was given instantly. When someone goes through something, it will take a few more years to see the change. However, I've had relatives who you can consider as bad examples during their teens, but then they are pastors now. I think these switches are possible and very precious experience to a select few. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I agree with several others in that the biggest change is not committing suicide. It’s a very difficult choice to make in the moment and takes a lot of strength.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Obviously, it was the spiritual path that the author took after having the dream.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

nooregano wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:26 When in a spiritual path, each decision, when made consciously, is a turning point.
What a true statement! It's true that each decision, even small ones, are important turning points, the take us to the next challenge or opportunity. The author's choice to stay alive was informed by many experiences, as well as the power of that moment. I think it's probably both.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The most impactful moment was certainly his resolution to continue living. However, I think other more gradual changes in his life compounded to contribute to the person he became, more than this one resolution.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 02:44 The author had a dream where he saw Jesus and this changed the course of his life. What, acoording to you, was the most noticeable change the author made in his life?
I liked that he decided to develop the spiritual insight he had during a vision quest.
I think the author's most noticeable change was when he determined to do what Jesus asked him to do, even though he didn't know how. This opened the gateway to his purpose driven journey. Even when he was suicidal, he was not alone. He still came back on track.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

His experiences from his learning in Japan seem to have a profound impact on him and his life.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 16:49 I think the most transformative decision of his was to decide to live instead of ending his life. From this point onward, he really changed his mindset for good and made a conscious decision to focus on the positives and build trust in himself.
I agree. This is where he decided that a change was necessary and now gone on a personal journey to help himself and others.
Spencer Mack
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

To me, it seemed like most of the experiences were a little far fetched. With all the things like the attempted mugging or what he experienced at the concert there why did he not do the right thing in light of when he and the hired helped got pulled over. Or when given the gun and told to pull the trigger he pulled it not seeing any signs or having any type of feelings or questions about that being a sin.
Chelsea N. Hackett
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

I agree his experience may be unique from what others have experienced. However an excellent point that people can not go by blind faith and trust. Periodically a person will need to carefully question is this the right thing for me to do? Should I do precisely what is being asked of me? Being resourceful and knowing when to apply sound moral judgement is important to the journey as well.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

sonya01 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 04:09
nooregano wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:26 When in a spiritual path, each decision, when made consciously, is a turning point.
I think I would agree with this, rather than saying there was one defining moment that changed his life. Each decision takes a person on a tangential path to where he originally started out, and this author started taking life-altering decisions very early on in life, beginning with his own spiritual awareness.
Every day we face turning points. We are constantly required to make decisions . Some could affect the rest of our life.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

After the author had the experience of Jesus, he spent thirty years searching for the core of his teaching. He went all the way to Japan and began offering courses on meditation.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

As with many others, I feel that his main change was to come out of the depression and give his life some purpose. I think that having found a purpose in his life was probably what he needed more than what the specific purpose was.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

The author's dream changed his whole life. Thereafter, he pursued his goal to understand the meaning of Jesus' words, by going to Japan and other places.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”