The validity of mythic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: The validity of mythic experience?

Post by zjacks »

I mean, definitely not committing suicide has to be the most important of his changes post-vision.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:43 While he seemed to have many turning points, the one that I remember most was when he was depressed, suicidal, and lost all trust in himself. Then he heard a voice say he was free to do what he felt was right, that his life was full of purpose, and to be himself. He was transformed in an instant. I have found my own transformations to be much more gradual.
Same here. That turning point in his life is something I can relate too. It is amazing how that light found him despite his depressed state. Also, I would find it hard to believe that a transformation could be this instant but then I knew a relative who was considered a nuisance and a piece of trash before, but now he is a pastor. Changing their ways to Christ's ways have only taken a vision and a dream, very similar to the author's experience. For me, my spiritual transformations are also gradual. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

The one that stuck the most was not pushing through with his suicidal thoughts. I think it struck me the most because it was indeed a miracle that he managed to find hope and light despite the circumstances. Having experienced depression, it is really, really, difficult to find the positive side of all things.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Londera wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 15:20 That voice and his visions was a boost he needed in order to create the change that exsisted inside himself. He always wanted to be happy, but its like thise experiences gave him permission to do so.
Interesting take. It felt like it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

briellejee wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 21:11 The one that stuck the most was not pushing through with his suicidal thoughts. I think it struck me the most because it was indeed a miracle that he managed to find hope and light despite the circumstances. Having experienced depression, it is really, really, difficult to find the positive side of all things.
For him to find hope, light, and peace and the moment when he had already written his suicide note and let go of his place on the earth, is the most significant impact. Think on it, he was literally seconds away from death. What if he had not look up?
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too me, the interesting point was in what he took refuge in.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

The part that stood out for me is when he decides against committing suicide. Suicide is no solution to any problem. It's an easy way out in fact the most cowardly act. One must have faith and fight against all odds and come out of such tricky situations.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Shilpa Paul wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 13:13 The part that stood out for me is when he decides against committing suicide. Suicide is no solution to any problem. It's an easy way out in fact the most cowardly act. One must have faith and fight against all odds and come out of such tricky situations.
You can't just say that it's the most cowardly act. Having depression and suicidal thoughts do not equal to lesser faith. Depression is a mental illness. You do not trample on a suicide victim by saying he is a coward. Depression is more than "tricky situations". The author was lucky enough to receive a divine intervention when he was having those thoughts.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Mely918 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 14:07 What stood out to me was how after having that dream, he changed his mind about committing suicide. He decided to live instead. It's very powerful because even though he continued making mistakes, he chose to face them by choosing life. Maybe initially it would've been easier to not deal with anything and die instead, but the dream made him see the bigger picture.
I love this comment, the implication that by choosing life, he chose to endure and garnered strength from it.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I guess the greatest turn around was his decision to quit drugs and also abandon the plan to commit suicide. Otherwise, everything else in the book would have fallen apart. This is the one thing where I can commend the author.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

The awakening from depressed and suicidal to finding meaning in his dream that gave him a new lease on life. I believe this was the turning point that led to the biggest change in the author. Some people never experience that switch, or they go through the change more gradually, so his experience is actually quite unique and special in that regard.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It sounds so strange that the suicidal thoughts and attempts came after the author had received the mission but had no plan of how he was going to do it. It seems that the sudden change to lead a life of passion, love, and direction was indeed a major shift.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:43 While he seemed to have many turning points, the one that I remember most was when he was depressed, suicidal, and lost all trust in himself. Then he heard a voice say he was free to do what he felt was right, that his life was full of purpose, and to be himself. He was transformed in an instant. I have found my own transformations to be much more gradual.
I totally agree with this! It was awesome to hear how those simple words made him feel more free. It's hard to give yourself permission to just relax and be yourself. I agree that his transformation seemed instant. I too have found my life transformations to be much slower. However, I think either way they are very valuable.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I think that mystical experiences have the power to change anybody and affect their lives. However scientific research has shown that such experiences can be turned on at will by stimulating certain sections of the brain, so this makes one wonder at their objective reality and whether they are simply subjective experiences that appear real because of their vividness.
But when you're not in a lab, nothing is sending current to your brain, how does it come about? What is stimulating your brain in that case? I've had experiences like this that didn't fit in with anything I'd ever known or believed before. Too intense for me.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Something I don't understand is why people consider suicide abhorrent. It's called cowardly, tragic, it's even 'illegal' in America. Why is it up to everyone else to decide how your life goes or not? If someone has suffered beyond their ability to bear, why is it not their right to escape?

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”