Extreme

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Re: Extreme

Post by Amy+++ »

I don't think 'extreme' is the correct word.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Hissue97 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:41 Don't you think spirituality according to Richard is extreme, relative to how the world evolves and new ideas are been brougt up?
The spiritual realm is very wide. One must not delve in unguided. I like that Richard always looked for a teacher, instructor, or guide for each dimension of spirituality he delved into. I wouldn't say Richard was extreme, but rather he was MAD—Motivated Activated and Directed. That's what happens when one is purpose driven.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Bukari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 15:59 We live in an era where the devil is ready to conquer more people into his cage of frustrations and afflictions. I hope we all need to build strong spiritual foundations and fortresses to overcome the evil in society, thanks!
You are totally right. Strong spiritual foundation is key. Otherwise, one would get deceived and lost.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I think the kind of spirituality Richard invests himself in can be described as a committed passion. It may be viewed as extreme by those who do not understand it, but anything can be considered to be extreme depending on the individual asked.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

@@Hissue97 I agree with other commenters that I would love to hear you say more about what you mean by extreme! Please share with us!

There’s definitely an argument to be made. I do think that some of the positives about memoirs like this is- there are certain people in life who choose to make spirituality their calling in a way most individuals can’t, but we can learn from their wisdom and “extreme” experience. (They do it so we don’t have to.)

That being said, there is a lot in Haight’s spirituality that does not resonate for me personally, but that’s not necessarily on-topic for this thread. Although it does make me less “sympathetic” to his extreme actions than I might otherwise be, I suppose.

I do like that other commenters have pointed out the way Jesus's call was extreme.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Hissue97 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:41 Don't you think spirituality according to Richard is extreme, relative to how the world evolves and new ideas are been brougt up?
I suppose it can be seen as extreme. I know I connect with some of what he says, as my own beliefs following a pagan path deal heavily with outside forces of energy. Some of it is a bit too intense for me to believe though. The parts with the energy field during martial arts practice is hard for me to believe. I do have to say I have felt the pressure of negative forces before, so as he explained Dance of the Self and what he felt as he expelled his negativity, that hit home.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

I am curious as to what your definition of extreme is. The author's firm belief in his spiritual path is not to the point to be called extreme.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

The sinful world is super extreme ,so i do not think Richard's approach to the challenges of humanity are anything other than appropriate.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

For sure he is a deep believer of his faith. Could I talk with him? in a real life debate discussion? I don't know. I don't believe he is stuck in his own mind though, don't get me wrong, I just find him more insistent on his ideas at times, and they don't always match mine
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by extreme, but I do think the author is totally committed to his spiritual journey and everything else in his life just seem to fall into the background. In my opinion, it's not realistic for everyday people and I'm not even sure it's totally healthy. Human lives are complex and I believe we should strive for balance. And that means acknowledging our lives have a lot of facets: family, job, hobbies, friends and even a frivolous aspect that's not necessarily evil. It's about letting every facet have its place and time. And the regular reader can't just drop everything and dive into a spiritual journey in the Amazon or devote his day to practice martial arts. But the reader can take what works for them and practice a much more down-to-earth approach to spirituality.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Maybe his actions are a little extreme, but I guess some people just like that. I don't know about his ideas and beliefs though.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

What some call "extreme", others refer to as "intense"; either way, it seems strong feelings and thoughts are present.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

PGreen wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 13:13
PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 13:11 What do you mean? I'm intrigued...
Haight certainly is passionate in his spiritual pursuits. His use of psychotropics and his trip to the Amazon could be extreme. Maybe he felt these things would give validity to his insights. He chooses what he wants to believe based on what feels right to him. He also gives his readers the freedom to believe what feels right to them.
I also thought Mr. Haight is passionate about his pursuits. And personally, I did not find Mr. Haight discuss any extreme step, however, some of his techniques related to understanding spirituality were quite difficult for me to understand.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

briellejee wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 23:12
OloladeO wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 07:45 I honestly don't like his approach. I don't think it wise to mix up religious beliefs
I am curious about what made you think it's unwise for? Is it because of what other readers might think about it? :eusa-think:
I also don't think there was anything unwise as the author was clear about his stand by mentioning that the religions have been manipulated and the real essence of religion based on the concept of unconditional love seems to be missing these days. However, some of the techniques explained in the book might be difficult to understand.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 23:14
Susmita Biswas wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:40 How he left everything behind and went to Amazon and every place where he was needed, that was extreme.
I thought the same. However; when I think about Jesus' ministry, he did tell his disciples they had to drop everything and leave family behind, in order to follow Him. This was extreme for even almost 2,000 years ago. People then had the same basic needs we have today: food, clothing, shelter, and family. I have to admit that I'm not sure I could do what Haight did.
I also think that the steps taken by Mr. Haight like going to Amazon could not be possible for everyone and not even for me personally. Mr. Haight did all this to get the insight of spirituality and spread his knowledge to people like us for our benefit.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”