Extreme

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Extreme

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Hissue97 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:41 Don't you think spirituality according to Richard is extreme, relative to how the world evolves and new ideas are been brougt up?
It is an extreme topic in human make-up. Spirituality is an essential part of human nature, whether we want it to be or not.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I honestly don't like his approach. I don't think it wise to mix up religious beliefs
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

We live in an extreme world, we therefore expect nothing less than extreme.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 13:11 What do you mean? I'm intrigued...
Haight certainly is passionate in his spiritual pursuits. His use of psychotropics and his trip to the Amazon could be extreme. Maybe he felt these things would give validity to his insights. He chooses what he wants to believe based on what feels right to him. He also gives his readers the freedom to believe what feels right to them.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

PGreen wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 13:13 He also gives his readers the freedom to believe what feels right to them.
I liked that you pointed this out. Giving his readers the freedom to choose what to believe based on their feelings of what is right is one of the good aspects of this book. It doesn't make the audience tied to only one option.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

OloladeO wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 07:45 I honestly don't like his approach. I don't think it wise to mix up religious beliefs
I am curious about what made you think it's unwise for? Is it because of what other readers might think about it? :eusa-think:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The explanation in the book indeed makes the aspect of spirituality appear extreme and indeed cumbersome to attain but in real sense the author's point is that it should not be complicated. Hence, it is not about taking new roles but a process of unlearning and unfoldment.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

briellejee wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 22:24
PGreen wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 13:13 He also gives his readers the freedom to believe what feels right to them.
I liked that you pointed this out. Giving his readers the freedom to choose what to believe based on their feelings of what is right is one of the good aspects of this book. It doesn't make the audience tied to only one option.
This is very true. In fact, in the introduction, he advises the reader to attest to the issue of Isness by themselves. One thing he constantly wrote in the book chapters was also for people to proceed only when they felt prepared and ready to do so.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kibetious wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:13
briellejee wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 22:24
This is very true. In fact, in the introduction, he advises the reader to attest to the issue of Isness by themselves. One thing he constantly wrote in the book chapters was also for people to proceed only when they felt prepared and ready to do so.
I liked that part of the book. It's like saying "read at your own will/risk". Most books in this topic and genre tend to force their beliefs on people. Glad that this one doesn't. :techie-studyingbrown:
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:40 How he left everything behind and went to Amazon and every place where he was needed, that was extreme.
I thought the same. However; when I think about Jesus' ministry, he did tell his disciples they had to drop everything and leave family behind, in order to follow Him. This was extreme for even almost 2,000 years ago. People then had the same basic needs we have today: food, clothing, shelter, and family. I have to admit that I'm not sure I could do what Haight did.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 23:14
Susmita Biswas wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:40 How he left everything behind and went to Amazon and every place where he was needed, that was extreme.
I thought the same. However; when I think about Jesus' ministry, he did tell his disciples they had to drop everything and leave family behind, in order to follow Him. This was extreme for even almost 2,000 years ago. People then had the same basic needs we have today: food, clothing, shelter, and family. I have to admit that I'm not sure I could do what Haight did.
This is true. Jesus' call was one that really required sacrifice. The reality is that nothing that is of value and worth much will come at a cheap price. There will always be a cost to pay.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Kibetious wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 01:30
This is true. Jesus' call was one that really required sacrifice. The reality is that nothing that is of value and worth much will come at a cheap price. There will always be a cost to pay.
This is so true.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

The techniques mentioned by Richard to get the awareness of spirituality may be difficult for a layman. But few of the concepts in the book could be helpful and easy to understand, such as the concept of "Isness."
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

The multiverse idea drove me crazy.
And this sounded like it came from a horror movie:
The seed of awareness that it plants in the subconscious mind will eventually unravel the matrix of the mind...
The thought that we should 'unfold' to our fundamental being of Isness, of Oneness seems defeating. Why does Isness manifest in so many different ways if there's no point and all we're'supposed to do is go back to the beginning?
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Glad that you mentioned about dropping everything when Jesus told them to. It made me see that the extremeness of wanting and living in the light needs a bigger sacrifice. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”