Extreme

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Extreme

Post by sarahmarlowe »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 10:57 There were times when I was reading the book and how he slept out in the rain for days and was miserable and then went to the Amazon and had more misery, that it could have been easier. It’s not difficult to tap into the divine nature of oneself unless you think it’s hard. The tribulations that he put himself through are not necessary to get in touch with the spirit that resides in you. However, each person has their mindset, so what he did unlocked it for him, but yes, it seemed extreme to me.
That's a wonderful way to put that into words! Some people don't have to go on searches like Haight did because they go through sickness, deaths of family, job loss, and more. He seemed to search for misery so that he could find trust and peace.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Life In Books wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 05:04
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 23:14
Susmita Biswas wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:40 How he left everything behind and went to Amazon and every place where he was needed, that was extreme.
I thought the same. However; when I think about Jesus' ministry, he did tell his disciples they had to drop everything and leave family behind, in order to follow Him. This was extreme for even almost 2,000 years ago. People then had the same basic needs we have today: food, clothing, shelter, and family. I have to admit that I'm not sure I could do what Haight did.
I also think that the steps taken by Mr. Haight like going to Amazon could not be possible for everyone and not even for me personally. Mr. Haight did all this to get the insight of spirituality and spread his knowledge to people like us for our benefit.
True. I also think that for some people, techniques such as dance of self and also some kinds of meditation may be cumbersome to practice.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I think that he is very passionate about his beliefs, although he is adamant that they are not beliefs. What could be considered extreme by one could be a passion for another.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:40 How he left everything behind and went to Amazon and every place where he was needed, that was extreme.
I thought the same. However; when I think about Jesus' ministry, he did tell his disciples they had to drop everything and leave family behind, in order to follow Him. This was extreme for even almost 2,000 years ago. People then had the same basic needs we have today: food, clothing, shelter, and family. I have to admit that I'm not sure I could do what Haight did.
I also think that the steps taken by Mr. Haight like going to Amazon could not be possible for everyone and not even for me personally. Mr. Haight did all this to get the insight of spirituality and spread his knowledge to people like us for our benefit.
I agree, and I'm so grateful for him sharing his knowledge and insight. He has shed light on Jesus' ministry and provided a deeper understanding on Jesus' sayings. His book has definitely changed me for better. Yea!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 20:48

I agree, and I'm so grateful for him sharing his knowledge and insight. He has shed light on Jesus' ministry and provided a deeper understanding on Jesus' sayings. His book has definitely changed me for better. Yea!
:tiphat: :tiphat:
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I don't think the author is extreme. In fact, I think he is quite balanced. He has a genuine search for Truth and I appreciate it.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Extreme? Maybe. Confused like the rest of us? Definitely. People come up with all these theories because they want to believe in something, anything.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I don't think the author is extreme but rather he just firmly believes in his message.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Every author has a unique perspective of his own, in this case I like to how the author explained spirituality and how it affects humanity.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

He is neither fundamentalist nor liberal in his ideology.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I think extreme is relative. I mean, some things could be construed that way, for instance the fact that he dropped everything and went to the Amazon. But on the other hand, you do what you feel is right and if he was feeling the urge to do it then I don't think it can be labelled as extreme just because the next guy wouldn't do it.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

He sure is extreme and I think in a way, he even thought himself too extreme, trying to get everything out of the way caused more obstacles. We can't forget what the goal was and the goal was to find Jesus' bones and to spread that love throughout the world.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I think he takes an extremist view on his own religious beliefs. It's not uncommon for anyone who wants to be a spiritual guide or leader. Most often, those kinds of people are drawn to doing/being/teaching are the most extreme.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Bukari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 15:59 We live in an era where the devil is ready to conquer more people into his cage of frustrations and afflictions. I hope we all need to build strong spiritual foundations and fortresses to overcome the evil in society, thanks!
I don't believe the spirituality or any religion is a necessity to be able to overcome the evil. Being a good person doesn't mean to be spiritually evolved or religious. And vice versa. I know many religious people who do bad things right after the mass in the church. I've also met peple who seemed or claimed to be enlightened but were making very stupid decisions. Actually, the nicest people I've met weren't at all religious of spiritual.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I think that a believer's level of spirituality is self defined. The author's level of activity that he used to attain certain
levels of spirituality were certainly self-motivated.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”