The Author's Prayer

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: The Author's Prayer

Post by Ekta Kumari »

CinWin wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 21:04
Ekta Kumari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 16:24 Yes, I definitely think the author achieves his goal of assisting others. Reading this book motivated me to think about my own life and actions. Books like these encourages one to live in the moment and stop stressing over future, which is not guaranteed anyways.
I agree with you totally, Ekta! Self-awareness, the power of Now, and stop stressing is key to life. Ah...but how to do that is a whole lifetime's work. :roll:
Yes, that is. I think we should try to work at it one step at a time. All of us struggle with being positive and optimistic. Whenever I overstress about something, I like to think about the positives in my life like I'm alive and have people in my life to love and people who love me, and I try to be content with it. By taking a break from the thing I'm stressing about, I can look at it with a calmer mind. It can be anything for you, but appreciating what you already have does help :)
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Firefawkes wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 12:41 I am personally not a very religious person, but this book did give me a sense that there is more to life than what we can see, so we should be open to new ideas. I also now think that believing in something (it could be yourself) is the biggest step to attaining your goals.

I agree with the author's view that we need something to believe in. The helplessness of being without belief in anything might make us wander like a rudderless ship. Atleast to ground us, we need something to believe in
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Kibetious wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 14:49
briellejee wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 22:25 The author somehow inculcated in me that meditation is crucial in achieving peace. I never really tried meditating since my attention span is that of a goldfish. But now, I think I might try it.
The attention of a goldfish.. :D :D :D This sounds very familiar. There are some teachings that I may intake from this book but I guess some such as meditation won't work.
What made you think why meditation won't work? Honestly, I tried meditating; but I couldn't stay on it for even just 3 minutes. Longest record of just thinking with eyes closed was 5 minutes. Farther than that, I couldn't make it. :lol2: :doh:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The author's major emphasis is on the point of unlearning and unbecoming. This may hold true in some ways but not all of the points expressed in the book sound true to me. There are somethings that I have definitely learned that they need to be unlearned and I hope that this will be doable.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I appreciate that people, like this author, have the desire to help others. I think it's evident in these posts that his prayer has been answered.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Kibetious wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 22:05 I am sure that the prayer was answered and it will continue to be answered as long as they are people who will read this book and also others will continue transferring the information they have gained to others.
I think this is one of the many advantages of a book like this. As you said, his information will likely be transferred from those who read the book to those that they teach. This is how ideas like this end up being built upon. I think it's great that Haight decided to share his methods with the world.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

briellejee wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 07:23
PGreen wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 10:56 I think the author's prayer is answered through this book. I like your idea that what we need to learn will be provided. Haight went through many experiences searching hard for answers, even to the extent of psychotropics and traveling to the Amazon to study another culture. Maybe the answers could have been found much more simply.
I agree with you that the answers could have been found much more simply than going into the Amazon. I've always believed that immersing yourself with tribes could endanger both parties. Thankfully, his adventure was fruitful enough.
Ah...but sometimes one must be hit over the head with a brick in order to finally "get" it. :violence-axechase:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am still learning much from this book. The most recent lesson was the importance of not quitting. I might have known this but the conviction that quitting leads to more quitting was not as strong as it is now. Indeed, he is helping and the dream is being achieved.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Helen91 »

"Sufficient unto the day is it's evil thereof", while worry so much about tomorrow when the next minute is not even guaranteed. The author passed his message very loud and clear
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Kibetious wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 01:49 I am still learning much from this book. The most recent lesson was the importance of not quitting. I might have known this but the conviction that quitting leads to more quitting was not as strong as it is now. Indeed, he is helping and the dream is being achieved.
Yes, I agree with you. There was a lot in this book that made me "re-remember" and clarify what I had learned before.
Thanks for your insight.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
angellove123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by angellove123 »

The author's mindset is to always stay positive no matter what happens. Do not stress yourself instead, enjiy and live to the fullest!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am still trying to live in the present and not think about the future but it seems this may take a lifetime indeed. Also, as a human being there is always a place for one to plan otherwise we may be caught up with the future unprepared which is worse.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Personally, I feel benefited from this book mainly in regards to two things. Firstly, I learnt that the mind has a lot of limitation so we should not be stressed about everything that the mind says. Secondly, I was quite intrigued and inspired by the concept of "Isness", which is described as the sheer presence of life without the attachment of any mortal identities to it like body or mind.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

srividyag1 wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 02:25
Firefawkes wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 12:41 I am personally not a very religious person, but this book did give me a sense that there is more to life than what we can see, so we should be open to new ideas. I also now think that believing in something (it could be yourself) is the biggest step to attaining your goals.

I agree with the author's view that we need something to believe in. The helplessness of being without belief in anything might make us wander like a rudderless ship. Atleast to ground us, we need something to believe in
I agree. Believing in one's self could also be destructive, especially when we realize our abilities have limits. I think holding on to something could help us anchor ourselves in this ruthless sea called life.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

PGreen wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 10:56 Maybe the answers could have been found much more simply.
Wow. That observation made me stop and take a breath. I have to agree with you. It's too bad that he couldn't have realized sooner to be at peace with waiting. Brilliant point.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”