Cozy Mystery/Crime Book Discussion

For March 2019, we'll be reading Cozy Mystery/Crime books!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Cozy Mystery/Crime Book Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Welcome to March's genre discussion! This month we are going to share books that fall under the crime and/or cozy mystery genres. So what are these genres?
  • Crime: It's a genre that presents crimes, the investigation to the crimes, criminals, and their motives in a fictional way. Most times, suspense and mystery are woven into the book's plot.

• Cozy mystery: This is a subgenre of crime, where sex and violence are toned down or presented in a light/humorous manner. The crime at hand is usually taken place in a small intimate community. These books are considered to be "fun reads" and usually features an amateur sleuth.
What are you reading/have read for this month? Were there any other genres or subgenres featured in that book? Can you share your rating and if would you recommend it?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Tessa23Darling
Currently Reading: The Fire Within
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessa23darling.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Tessa23Darling »

I've read a few books by Kathy Reichs in the past. My sister is a HUGE fan of hers. I thought they were good but I personally prefer historical fiction. But, if you enjoy crime books, I would recommend her.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

It has been a long time since read a book from this genre. Any favorite authors?
valenciablossum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valenciablossum.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by valenciablossum »

I was 8 when I read my first Nancy Drew and was hooked. In high school I read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories which I still love reading on a rainy day. I think a good 'cozy mystery' has to have a lovable sleuth, a creative crime, and a satisfying conclusion. Gotta love books like this! I wish I had more rainy days here (:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think the only thing I've read from this genre is one Agatha Christie novel, but I would love to read more to be honest. There's something very relaxing about it.

ETA: Wait. I'm dumb. I'm doing an entire course on crime fiction. So far I've read The Sign of Four, A Murder is Announced, The Maltese Falcon and The Silence of the Lambs.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read all Agatha Christie's books and loved them!

I am now reading The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, a great mystery that reminds me of Agatha Christie's books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Tessa23Darling wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 12:00 I've read a few books by Kathy Reichs in the past. My sister is a HUGE fan of hers. I thought they were good but I personally prefer historical fiction. But, if you enjoy crime books, I would recommend her.
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll have to check her out :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ak1412 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 13:40 It has been a long time since read a book from this genre. Any favorite authors?
I don't feel I read enough of this genre to give an author recommendation, but I did really enjoyGone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

valenciablossum wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 15:34 I was 8 when I read my first Nancy Drew and was hooked. In high school I read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories which I still love reading on a rainy day. I think a good 'cozy mystery' has to have a lovable sleuth, a creative crime, and a satisfying conclusion. Gotta love books like this! I wish I had more rainy days here (:
I loved that you read Nancy Drew and was hooked! I agree with you - I wish there were more rainy days, so we can have more time to read.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nisha Ward wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 21:20 I think the only thing I've read from this genre is one Agatha Christie novel, but I would love to read more to be honest. There's something very relaxing about it.

ETA: Wait. I'm dumb. I'm doing an entire course on crime fiction. So far I've read The Sign of Four, A Murder is Announced, The Maltese Falcon and The Silence of the Lambs.
That's awesome that you've read all of those books! Was there a favorite that you'd like to share?
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 23:58 I have read all Agatha Christie's books and loved them!

I am now reading The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, a great mystery that reminds me of Agatha Christie's books.
A lot of people love Agatha Christie! I find the mysteries to be a bit too light for my enjoyment, which I know is a key element in cozy mysteries. :lol: Hence, this isn't my favorite genre, but I do like some crime-related books.

I haven't heard of The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. Are you enjoying it so far?
Heidi

Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

hsimone wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 20:14
Nisha Ward wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 21:20 I think the only thing I've read from this genre is one Agatha Christie novel, but I would love to read more to be honest. There's something very relaxing about it.

That's awesome that you've read all of those books! Was there a favorite that you'd like to share?
Definitely A Murder Is Announced. There's something rather delightful about the way Agatha Christie wrote and I was hooked almost immediately. The communal aspect of the cozy mystery is something I enjoyed and, despite some of my classmates believing the ending was sort of unrealistic, it made me laugh and had me on tenterhooks the entire way. I'd absolutely be willing to read more of her books.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

hsimone wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 20:17
gali wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 23:58 I have read all Agatha Christie's books and loved them!

A lot of people love Agatha Christie! I find the mysteries to be a bit too light for my enjoyment, which I know is a key element in cozy mysteries. :lol: Hence, this isn't my favorite genre, but I do like some crime-related books.

I haven't heard of The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. Are you enjoying it so far?
I've also never heard of it. What's it about, if you don't mind sharing some non-spoiler details? I'm interested in knowing more.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I enjoy 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle very much. I read it with another member in the Read-a-long forum: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, and you can join us if you want to. It is about a man who relives a murder every day for eight days, and each day he is in a different body. His only change to escape is to to find the murderer. If he doesn't, the loop restarts again.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

hsimone wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 20:13
Ak1412 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 13:40 It has been a long time since read a book from this genre. Any favorite authors?
I don't feel I read enough of this genre to give an author recommendation, but I did really enjoyGone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep!
I've heard a few good things about Gone Girl. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “March 2019 Genre Discussion”