ARA Review by Doc Brackin of The Chest of Visions

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Doc Brackin
Currently Reading: Templar Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Doc Brackin of The Chest of Visions

Post by Doc Brackin »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Chest of Visions.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It is important to note that The Chest of Visions functions as much more than a young adult novel. With a background in Christian, cultural apologetics I recognize that it’s intended purpose is to help address common questions people have about the faith. It is, in fact, a Christian curriculum with instructions on how to present the content to a group. Therefore, it should be considered a work that would be read in a group setting IRL or presented in “chapters” over the Internet.

The book itself presents a parallel to the life and ministry of Jesus on another planet/universe with the youth observing this “Jesus’s” ministry communicating back and forth via email and web posts with young adults, on Earth. While the parallels are hardly cloaked, the teaching of New Testament events and Jesus’s parables in a different setting are refreshing.

Occasionally the writing and grammar are a bit rough around the edges, but if you consider the fact that most of the characters in the books are young adults or teenagers doing the writing I think it is somewhat appropriate.

Personally, I love the integration of science and the “big bang“ and string theory with Christian thought and belief. While I would not agree with all the premises as laid out, I believe it served its purpose in helping me, the reader, to think and consider elements of my own faith.

If you are a Christian minister to young adults or simply wish to put this on your shelf for your own child or yourself I recommend it. If you are looking for a highly polished young adult novel you will not find it in this book. I believe that with a bit more coaching and a stronger editor this book could be great. I give it a 4 out of 5

View The Chest of Visions on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”