ARA Review by Doc Brackin of Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Doc Brackin
Currently Reading: Templar Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Doc Brackin of Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship

Post by Doc Brackin »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lets Talk! A Story of Autism and Friendship involves a topic that is near and dear to my heart due to the fact that I am an Autism Dad.

This is a heartwarming story of a friendship between a "neurotypical" child and a "neurodivergent" child with autism. It begins with an introduction at the pool that evolves into a strong relationship in which they learn how to connect and communicate.

The writer clearly has a strong background in working with children on the autism spectrum and subtly educates the reader on how many children with autism interact and communicate. The two main characters together demonstrate a way for children to more easily connect their peers on the spectrum via the printed word on cards and a notepad. It also demonstrates how to respond to mannerisms like hand flapping.

As a writer I would like to say that this book, while sweet, and clearly a necessary topic, does not feel polished. The speech of the neurotypical child seems unnaturally adult. A strong editor would have been able to make this book competitive with many highly popular children's books. As it is, this book would be an excellent fit in a book series written to educate children on various topics of diversity. I envision it having a lesson book with accompanying activities such as color pages and games.

For topic and story I give this a top rating. For the overall need of an editor's polish and re-organization I take off one star. I give this book a 4 out of 5.

View Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”