ARA Review by soumi+ of This Side of the Darkness

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
soumi+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

ARA Review by soumi+ of This Side of the Darkness

Post by soumi+ »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, This Side of the Darkness.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This Side of the Darkness by Andromeda Storm

This Side of the Darkness by Andromeda Storm is a harrowing and impactful novel that blurs the line between fiction and memoir, immersing readers in a world of heart-wrenching adversity and the resilience of the human spirit. Storm's narrative style creates a deep sense of realism, making the reader wonder whether the events within are drawn from personal experience.

This book, however, is not for those seeking thrilling plots and dynamic characters. Instead, it offers a powerful and sobering account of a child struggling through extreme adversities. The prose often shines with vivid imagery, such as the description of the protagonist's mother, portraying her as an angelic figure. This juxtaposition with the mother's descent into an abusive relationship is heart-wrenching, highlighting the loss of a vital protector in the narrator's life.

One aspect that stands out is the potential deliberate choice or reflection of the author's own emotions in the story. The narrator's ability to describe events and people deteriorates over time, mirroring her own emotional and physical abuse. This could be an intentional narrative choice or a reflection of the character's disintegration, leaving readers to wonder about the author's intent.

Storm's portrayal of the complex emotions experienced by an abused child is raw and poignant. The way she explores the distortion of love, guilt, and obsession is a powerful commentary on the emotional turbulence faced by those trapped in abusive environments.

This Side of the Darkness is undoubtedly a bleak and challenging read, but it is worth the effort for those seeking a deeper understanding of the struggles faced by many children in America raised by parents battling addiction or self-absorption. It serves as a sobering reminder of the hidden lives of countless children, revealing a national tragedy that continues to undermine the nation's potential.

As a former school counselor with experience in family therapy, the author's portrayal of abuse and neglect may not surprise you, but it undoubtedly reinforces the urgency of addressing these issues in society. Despite an array of social services, countless children continue to endure neglect and abuse, representing a devastating loss of human potential for the nation.

Andromeda Storm's ability to capture the essence of growing up in difficult circumstances and the longing for salvation is something that resonates with many readers who have faced similar challenges. It reflects the universal desire to be rescued as children and the realization that sometimes, we must become our own saviors, even if it's an uphill battle.

I recommend and rate this five out of five for the thoughtfulness and quality of the author's writing, as Storm did not shy away from the harsh realities. This honest and unflinching approach likely contributes to the book's impact. It is a testament to the transformative power of literature and how a well-told story can connect with readers on a deep and personal level, providing a sense of understanding, healing, and hope.

View This Side of the Darkness on Bookshelves
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

Thank you for the beautiful review. I appreciate your perfect rating despite the flaws and finding it a challenging read. I admire the constructive criticism and intend to edit my novel to better it. I truly appreciate every moment you read and spent reviewing my novel.

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”