ARA Review by D.J. Paolini of Shadow Song

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
D.J. Paolini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by D.J. Paolini of Shadow Song

Post by D.J. Paolini »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Shadow Song.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Anita Morrish's Shadow Song is a novel that defies strict genre classification. In this adventure saga, we first meet Francesca, a young Italian woman hoping to better herself as an artist amidst the turmoil of WWII. She soon finds herself with a design opportunity at an opera house that appeals to her love of operatic singing. She hopes to keep this opportunity from her mother and her father, a police detective, as they believe she is fully committed to her university studies.

Soon after, Carlo, a doctor and Italian army veteran, returns to Rome after being wounded in Sicily, to work again with his father Michele, also a doctor. His father brings him to the opera theater to treat a singer, and there he meets Francesca and her friends and colleagues.

Carlo and Francesca eventually learn that some of the group work with the partisans, and they suspect at least one works for the Nazis. Both must make personal decisions: to support the partisans or stay neutral. Supporting the authorities was out of the question. Eventually, the decision is forced upon each of them, and each becomes a matter of life or death.

I enjoyed Anita Morrish's novel, especially her descriptions of Rome’s centro storico, taking me through the neighborhoods of Sant’Angelo, Regola, Pigna, and Campitelli. The description of the street scenes made me believe I was in 1940s Rome. The author's love of Rome was clearly evident.

This gripping story, while having romantic themes between several pairs of characters, was multi-faceted, with aspects of adventure, history, and mystery. The author interwove the stories of the multiple characters around the events and locations of the period, with the historic events and locale adding depth to the story. The multiple story arcs added tension and maintained my interest, and some arcs were heart-wrenching. I especially enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at an Italian opera house, and it felt as if I were backstage of the theater.

I felt the suffering of the characters caused by the lack of food, mistreatment at the hands of those in authority, and even the psychological insecurity of not knowing what tomorrow might bring. The descriptions of the horrific actions of the Nazis and fascisti captured the terror that all Italians must have felt. The stories of partisan resistance activities felt genuine, and elicited sympathy for those who stood up against oppression even at the risk to their own lives. Through it all, the principal characters maintained their optimism and hope for a return to normalcy.

I enjoyed the Italian language and idioms interspersed and I would have enjoyed more of these. The story was told through the point-of-view of Francesca and Carlo, and the POVs were indicated by chapter titles using the characters’ names. If the same character continued into the next chapter, however, the name was not repeated. Once or twice, when picking up the book again following a break, I needed to backtrack to confirm the current POV. I would have preferred it being indicated for every chapter.

I found that some abrupt transitions between scenes, especially in the final quarter of the book, to be the only negative. For that reason, I rate it a 4 out of 5. All in all, I enjoyed stepping into 1940s Rome and embracing the culture and the spirit of its people. I recommend Shadow Song for fans of all historical fiction, but especially of stories set in twentieth-century Italy. I look forward to more stories like these from Ms. Morrish.

View Shadow Song on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”