ARA Review by Donna Sundblad of King's Envoy

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donna Sundblad
Favorite Book: King's Envoy
Currently Reading: The Chest of Visions
Bookshelf Size: 168

ARA Review by Donna Sundblad of King's Envoy

Post by Donna Sundblad »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, King's Envoy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Written with captivating originality! The King’s Envoy: Book 1 First Artesans Trilogy (Artesans of Albia) introduces a believable fantasy world comprised of five realms separated by misty barriers known as the Veils. Only Artesans can cross the Veils by creating a Portway and it is dangerous business. This first installment in the series takes place in two of these realms. Albia (the Fourth Realm) and Andaryon (the Fifth Realm).

Author Cas Peace’s uses the magic of the pen to weave an intriguingly different backdrop with one small thread at a time creating a vivid tapestry that brings the plot to life in this well-developed imaginary world. The need and the quest are clear from page one, and it is dangerous.

The story opens in Albia, a human realm where females and males have equal potential for possessing Artesan abilities but such powers have fallen into disfavor. Most Albians now believe that Artesans only use their skills to gain power and control. This leaves twenty-eight-year-old Taran Elijah, a likable but insecure protagonist, struggling to advance his Artesan abilities. He has reached Journeyman (level three). His deceased father was an Artesan Adept (level four) but had failed to teach him all he could. He can wield the powers of Earth, has influence over Water, and is capable of creating a portway but he lacks a teacher to grow his skills. In desperation, he crosses into the Fifth Realm occupied by a warlike race with pale skin and cat-like eyes that gleam in the dark. There, he hopes to find a teacher as he trusts his metasenses to guide him. Here the story takes off at a compelling gallop with the rise and fall of conflict with self, others, the environment, and the supernatural.

Peace’s authentic system of magic makes sense and the use of sensory details makes it real. I fell in love with her well-developed unique characters. The small group of companions Taran picks up along his journey feel like flawed friends. Enemies are numerous. Some are blatant and others dwell within that nebulous realm of question. Can they be trusted or not? One way or the other readers will be invested in what happens next.

King’s Envoy is an entertaining page-turner. I couldn’t put it down and I’m happy to give it 5 out of 5. I recommend it to fantasy enthusiasts fond of magical worlds with a deep history, a touch of romance, and plenty of adventure. For those sensitive to profanity, there are a handful of instances of mild profanity. I look forward catching up with these characters in book 2.

View King's Envoy on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”