Review of Final Notice

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheDinosaurLawyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Review of Final Notice

Post by TheDinosaurLawyer »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Final Notice.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice - 3 out of 5 stars.

Summary - a senior citizen, Vince and his wife Trudi have a lot of conversations with friends and Vince thinks about buying a gun for protection. The author tells a series of tangential stories, almost like a newspaper reporting on gun violence around the country, throws in a bit about global warming, and then circles back to the premise of what people would do if they knew the exact day they would die. A tangential story involves the presumed premise of the novel - Vijay's testing of the final notice watch and some of Vijay's interactions with other people.

The book has an interesting premise, but how the watch works - how it can be infallibly trusted isn't explained. I would have a hard time believing a piece of wearable tech would accurately predict my death without a lot of buildup as to why it works. So there is a bit of a premise problem. Also, it seems there is a link between the final notice and guns - nothing else.

The book is well edited. Few typos and grammar mistakes, but the book doesn't really suck the reader into the moment. The characters don't have unique or believable voices. At one point, Vince tells his wife Trudi, "I'll say. They're nothing short of laudable Americans and their kids, wow! Talk about success stories!" Each character sounds like the author's voice and no character really pops out.

Final Notice does not seem well researched, it espouses political talking points. If you are anti-gun, you might enjoy it, certainly more than someone who is agnostic about guns or is pro gun. One example of poor research, there is a Senior Discount by the NRA for guns as a repeated part of the book - but the NRA doesn't sell guns or subsidize the sale of guns. It is an advocacy group. For the author to have such a huge mistake, repeated several times, undercuts author credibility.

I was able to finish this book, it was rather clean writing, so it deserves more than 1-2 stars on those metrics. The book does not deserve 4 or 5 stars because I couldn't really recommend it to anyone but those looking for anti-gun anecdotes.

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”