Review of Final Notice

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jeff-artbol
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review of Final Notice

Post by jeff-artbol »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Final Notice.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is set in America and has an intriguing politized storyline that examines how an artificial intelligent (AI) device, similar to a watch or fit-bit, has been developed to accurately predict the wearers impending death. The story takes us through the trialling of this device, concentrating on the manufacturers personnel’s drive to make the device a success and the reactions of the device recipients once informed of the 'final notice' predicting their imminent death. Initially it was thought a device capable of predicting imminent death would hold positive benefits, as it is argued such knowledge affords the recipients time to put their life end arrangements in place. However, what the device manufacturer failed to consider was that some peoples arrangements would include the killing of past or present antagonists.

The primary characters of the book; Vince and Trudi are in their later years and are portrayed as thoughtful American citizens, embracing left of centre democratic political beliefs, sympathetic to all equality issues. Vince and Trudi’s conflict, central to the books theme; is that with the onslaught of age comes vulnerability and vulnerability can alter one’s perspective on life, especially when death become imminent. It is this understanding of the behavioural changes ageing brings, the author has conveyed with excellence. The storyline involving Vince and Trudi invokes the readers thoughts; relative to the fact ageing and particularly, life after a successful career, can erode a person’s self-esteem and sense of worth, thus making them feel powerless and promoting within them a sense of fear. Vince and Trudi having witnessed a growing disrespect within their community and an incident that left Vince’s and their dog’s life’s threatened, caused them to alter their long-standing anti-gun beliefs. Now suffering a sense of vulnerability, they consider and eventually purchase a gun for their own safety. In recognition of this growing fear the author has cleverly linked the primary characters with the central theme of the book; being the lax gun laws in America that are ardently promoted by the National Rifle Association (NFA), enabling those receiving notice of their impeding death, the easy means to kill with impunity. It is the power wielded by the NFA in American politics which the author undoubtably wanted to highlight and Van Fleisher definitely does this with a schemed firefight conclusion that ‘backfires’ on the organization.

When choosing a book to review, this book caught my eye with a professionally designed jacket and good descriptive back-cover resume. Nevertheless, I did hold some reservations as I initially thought there would be too much going on causing the storyline to faulter. However, this was not the case and I found the book fluid with the storyline flowing throughout the book towards the clever conclusion.

With regard to the author’s choice to heavy politicize the book towards a particular party view; that of course was the authors choice, but I did feel some of the equality issues raised in the book were over emphasized to the extent they could be considered political rants. Nevertheless, I sincerely hope those with alternative views, as expressed by the author, look past the politics and read the book for the entertaining, well written and structured story it is. Although some-how I doubt anyone with strong Republican views would get past the ‘Foreword’.
To summarize; I did find the storyline compelling and really enjoyed how the reader was taken through the realities of ageing and the notion; ‘every action invokes a reaction’. On the topic of the VT2 device; this was introduced to the story with great intelligence, so-much-so this fictional device almost sounded current and credible. However more significant than the device itself was the recognition that when giving a prognosis it would seem best to leave the recipient with an element of ‘Hope’. This hope factor I feel could have been expanded upon, but that maybe the basis for Van Fleisher’s next compelling read.

This book rated 5 out of 5. Overall, Final Notice by Van Fleisher was an enjoyable and entertaining read. With regard to recommendation; I would definitely recommend this book as it is well written and although politically partisan, I do feel the authors choice to deride the radical right may prove a signature to success, given current global readership access via ‘real’ AI devices.

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a thought-provoking book examining human behaviour when faced with a matter of fact AI notification of impending death…begging the question...What would I do?

“Excellent …thought provoking insight into AI v Human Behaviour”
Jeff Andrews

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”