ARA Review by dziak09 of Shot Down

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dziak09
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by dziak09 of Shot Down

Post by dziak09 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Shot Down.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Shot Down is a beautifully written story that mixes personal accounts with historical facts for an engaging read. The true story of a WW2 bomber’s crew shot down over Belgium connects themes of courage and teamwork within an extraordinary time in history. Steve Snyder blends backstories, painting a picture of who Howard and his crew were through their families, heritage, and hobbies. Peppered throughout are mentions of hometowns and robust details into how each man became an airman through strict training and dedicated learning. Readers easily will connect with an airman organically through the weaving of personalities spoken throughout Shot Down . For me, I immediately felt a connection to Daniels, born in Ohio a mere twenty minutes from my own hometown. Although chapters are short, the context is plentiful and laid out strategically for an engaging read.

Details of the friendships and family-like connections give a good understanding of the norms of life for these brave men, with details from recreation to eating in the mess hall laying the context for a full story. As Snyder describes the preparation and briefing of combat fighting, readers are truly able to comprehend just how dangerous their job was to do. As a reader, finding that accidents occurred causing death even before battling shined light on how important training and discipline were for these men. By the time the plane is shot down, the personal accounts, letters, pictures, and details have brought about a foundation for a captivating story. The use of imagery Snyder users to describe the plane being shot down is done brilliantly and in a way that one need not even close their eyes to see the images crossing the paths of their vision.

Yet, what I found most emotionally moving was when the men were missing in action. From hiding in the hut at Champagne Woods to the interrogations, the details and personal stories tied so neatly with the historical facts written by the author kept me on the edge of my seat. At some moments, I cringed so tightly in fear I physically felt my knuckles whitening as I gripped my tablet, so perfectly aligning my own fear to the moments expressed in the story.

Perhaps one of the most important takeaways I have from this book is the importance of speaking of historical moments before they are lost. If they are not spoken or written to record, there is no recourse to recoup the lost stories. As the author acknowledges Dr. Paul Delahaye for his efforts to recount this tale from southern Belgium some 70 years ago, I would also like to acknowledge his contributions. This book left me in awe, leaving me grateful that this story was not one of the many that have been lost over time. Particularly, this book would make an excellent addition to history classes of high school and undergraduate levels, conveying the importance of historical facts with an emotional connection that until now I have found unmatched in similar texts.

Snyder masterfully blends the expressive aspects beloved by fiction books like the The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien and nonfiction books like how On Desperate Ground by Hampton Sides relay factual information to readers. As well as Shot Down held my interest and gave me a sense of admiration, it earns 5 out of 5 stars.

View Shot Down on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”