ARA Review by N+Retallick of The Reel Sisters

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
N+Retallick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

ARA Review by N+Retallick of The Reel Sisters

Post by N+Retallick »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Reel Sisters.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I rate this a 5 out of 5. The Reel Sisters are the Golden Girls of fly fishing. This was a fun book to read. I appreciated the character’s individuality as well as their sense of humor.

Very empowering to women. Leave your husband’s at home. Grab your girlfriends and head down to the river and get ready for some fly fishing, conversation, and wine.

Good friends are hard to come by. Especially friends that can take a joke without feeling offended like these ladies. Each character is her own person and they come together with one purpose; to fish. I love these characters.

Each character has her own personality and worthy of being respected. Amanda is a military wife, teacher and a mother. She’s raising two young children while her husband is deployed. I have to admit I was worried about Amanda being stalked by her ex and her husband’s reaction when he came home from Afghanistan. This is one of the pieces of the story that kept me turning the pages. There is Sophie owns a greenhouse and helps feed the hungry, and she finally found love. Veronica is a business leader empowering women. Rose owns the cabin on the Arkansas River that she and her husband built in the 1960s. I would invite myself to Rose’s cabin and ask her to teach me how to fly fish. And Melody is trying to figure out her life while stuck in a thunder and lightning storm on top of a mountain.

Michelle Cummings makes the characters come to life by entertaining the reader with their conversations over eating, fishing, and good wine. I’m pretty sure I can use this book to teach myself how to operate a fly fishing rod. And now I know how to layer my socks inside waders.

The writer describes scenarios perfectly. What it’s like to be a military wife, what it’s like to lose a child, how to hold your pole and cast your line out, as well as describing what it’s like to have to pee after you put your waders on.

I cried in the end. The ending was a complete total surprise to me. Excellent book.

View The Reel Sisters on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”