ARA Review by RuthMitchell of The Unbound Soul

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RuthMitchell
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Ruth Mitchell
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3
fav_author_id: 216550

ARA Review by RuthMitchell of The Unbound Soul

Post by RuthMitchell »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Unbound Soul.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Book Review of The Unbound Soul
By Richard L Haight

The Unbound Soul is not only a rich resource for spiritual enlightenment, but the author, Richard L Haight, coming from a background as a martial arts expert and teacher, has an unusual perspective on how to approach spiritual transformation. He also shares his personal experience when it comes to guiding readers toward an overall physical and mental well-being through techniques where readers are encouraged to meditate like a warrior and do the Dance of Self, to expel negativity.

Richard Haight shares his unusual life experiences which began with a spiritual awakening at the early age of twelve in this, more than a memoir, testimonial of his life’s work. Seeking a path for his continued ‘unfoldment process’, Haight has spent much of his life exploring different spiritual experiences. During his years training in Japan, he took part in a vision quest and he later journeyed to the Amazon to participate in a life-changing tribal ritual that included natural psychotropic drug called natem, a concoction of visionary plants. From these experiences he writes, “I awoke in deep thankfulness, knowing that this was the way to live with Isness. Freed of my fear of death and my desire to escape “the prison of the body,” I would embrace the present moment fully and with passion, because only through the present moment do we truly live.”

During Haight’s fifteen years living in Japan, he was studying Japanese martial arts which led him to become one of the world’s foremost experts. Much of the book is sprinkled with wisdom from this time, but it is his recording of the many mystical experiences throughout his life that makes this book stand out in a field of many. The primary purpose of the book, according to Haight, is to clarify the differences between consciousness, a source of liberation, and the mind, where unhappiness awaits in the form of expectations and ego-based thinking.

Other insights include his thoughts on the mind and ego, “The greatest idol worship is not the worship of objects but the worship of the self,” and his knowledge and acknowledgement of many spiritual disciplines, including the Tao, Buddhism, and the scriptures as they are read through a genderless perspective is refreshing and eye-opening. Seeking a better word for the concept of God, Haight uses the word isness, which “unconditionally forgives all things instantly.” He talks about expectations as an obstacle to happiness, and awareness of the Soul, which “begins when we embrace non-defining, unconditioned acceptance of being.”

I highly recommend this intensely detailed book for anyone seeking to live a better life. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because of the invaluable information and life-changing strategies contained in it. While it is lengthy and at times a bit wordy, its message is relevant in a world needing change. The Unbound Soul is definitely a “go to” source when seeking self-enlightenment and should be on everyone’s bookshelf who is interested in a better way of life.

View The Unbound Soul on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”